I frequently dog-sit for a neighbors dog. She is a sweet dog and we are happy to take care of her in short spurts. I feel like a dog grandma-- I get to enjoy and spoil her for a few days and then give her back
We never ask for a thing in return (not that that matters).
They asked if we could watch her for 10 days over the upcoming holiday and both weekends. Because my DH will be out of town and I have a crazy work schedule plus after-work commitments next week, I offered to take her this weekend through the 4th, drop her at the vet for boarding Tues morning, pick her up again Fri and keep her until they pick her up the following Mon. morning. These are nice neighbors that we've done social things with. I gave their dau a graduation gift, My DH and her DH are in the same field and want to keep a good working relationship, etc. They plan to drop her off Sat night.
The dog is now elderly and has had some health issues. I've had several questions about the logistics (what time does the vet open so I am sure I can get her there before my work day on Tuesday, can she be sure to give them permission to let me drop off/pick up the dog and can she arrange payment so I don't have to deal with that, etc). I've asked her to call me and have left her a voicemail, as these emails have gone back and forth and it is so much easier to discuss the arrangements via phone. She emailed me that she got in late and couldn't call, but would call the next day. That was 3 days ago.
I emailed her last night to ask what emergency vet she uses for after hours/holidays/Sundays should her dog have an issue? Her email response was that she has never needed to use an emergency vet, but she thought the one about 15-20 minutes from here would be ok, but she would write me a DNR for her dog "if anything happens", and she followed up the "DNR" with the written out "do not recusitate" (lol, as if I did not know, being in the health field). I thought that sounded awful, and said so in my response to her. I told her that since her dog has had some health issues, there could be an issue, and I didn't think I could do that with someone elses dog. This was again email, over 24 hrs ago, and I haven't heard a peep since then.
My DH will be home for the weekend and I am in the process of making plans. Remember, they want to drop the dog off Sat night. I don't plan to wait to make our plans, but now have no idea if I am still expected to dog sit or not. I don't feel I should have to keep reaching out to her, especially since I've asked her twice to call, but I do want to be clear with what her expectations are and my comfort level is. There is a huge gap between taking the do got the vet if she is having some health issues vs pulling the plug and taking her off life support!! It is her dog and decisions about what/how much care she wants to give her are hers, but I want some parameters. The dog is in no discomfort-- she's just old, deaf, has some GI issues, maybe some heart issues common in the breedn but they attribute her cough to something else)and has had at least one seizure (for which they chose not to do much in the way of follow up given her age).
Do I assume, given the lack of contact, that she took my response to mean that I was unwilling to take the dog (thats not what I said or meant)? I don't feel its my responsibility to call her, but this sure seems inconsiderate of her given the favor and stuff we are willing to do. We don't want to burn any bridges with them, and my DH wants to maintain a nice working relationship with her DH, but to be honest, I don't feel I should have to work this hard to do someone else a favor. What would you do? Just assume they made other arrangements and go on our merry way???