12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Already posted my decision but am now posting my stats! Decision: Deferred Objective:
- SAT I (breakdown): 750(M) 720(CR) 690(W) (One Sitting)
- ACT: 32 (One Sitting)
- SAT II: 710 US, 700 Math II
- Unweighted GPA (out of 100): unweighted: 98.5 Weighted: 100.7
- Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 3/146
- AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 APUSH, 3 English Lit
- IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
- Senior Year Course Load: AP Chem, AP Gov, College English, Calc 1+2, Spanish 5, Band, Bio 109+110 (Hardest Courses Schedule at my School)
- Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Selected to Attend THIMUN, Multiple MUN awards at regional conferences
- Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): President of Student Senate, Model United Nations for 4 years, District-wide club where members are selected by superintendent, Varsity Swimming, Tennis, and Golf (not recruited), National Honor Society
- Job/Work Experience: Lifeguard and work in a kitchen at a local restaurant
- Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer at Hospital in a nearby city, Blood donor, Various community activities
- Summer Activities: Youth Court, Volunteering at Hospital, Summer Conference, Working, Swim Club
- Essays: I thought they were very good. Common App: About my friend passing away from cancer and how it affected me. Supplement: About overcoming an obstacle in my first year of swimming
- Teacher Recommendation: Saw one that was very good, didn't see the other but I am sure it was amazing!
- Counselor Rec: I think it was pretty good. Didn't read but he likes me.
- Additional Rec: Excellent rec from my principal who I was very close with.
- Interview: Went very well. The alumni liked me and told me I was one of the best kids he interviewed from this area.
- Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
- Intended Major: Chemistry
- State (if domestic applicant): NY
- Country (if international applicant):
- School Type: Rural Public ( :[ )
- Ethnicity: White
- Gender: Male
- Income Bracket: 140,000
- Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First Generation (kind of? ) and perhaps coming from a rural area? Other than that, none. haha
- Strengths: Alumni interview, Essays, short takes
- Weaknesses: SAT scores and rank
- Why you think you were accepted/deferred/denied: Probably didn't stand out enough and wasn't a "for sure" RD admit.
I feel so lucky to be deferred! With how great everyone was, I'm thankful I didn't get rejected. Congrats to everyone accepted! You all truly deserve it. As to those rejected, I'm sorry but I know you will all find schools that you love as much as Yale. And to those deferred, we must continue to wait a couple more months. Good luck to everyone else whether it be at Yale or another school!