Brown University - A Dream Come True
Hello fellow CCers, just another Chance Me thread to relief my paranoia and anxiety for the upcoming university decisions. Brown University is a dream school but its renowned for being a selective school. Do I have what it takes to pass the rigorous admissions process?
Pacific Asian; Average-income household; Competitive IB school in Western Canada
SAT I: 2270
Korean with Listening: 800
Weighed:4.07 GPA Scale: 4.0
Top 1% in the district
IB Diploma Candidate:
IB Spanish SL (6) <-actual score (all other score are predicted marks)
IB English HL 6
IB Chemistry HL 6
IB History HL 6
IB Geography SL 6
IB Math SL 7
Predicted score: 40/45
Significant ECs (ones that were mentioned on the Common Application):
Volunteer Supervisor/Liason/Trainer at Evergreen Senior Home (Gr.9-12)
- Created the "Highschool Volunteer Network" in order to recruit more volunteers and spread the idea of volunteering out of goodwill.
- Trained and supervised new or existing volunteers.
- Over 400 hours.
Solo Clarinetist / Performance Organizer of White Rock Community Orchestra (Gr.9-12)
Task Force Manager/Treasurer of Vancouver Youth Charity Society (VYCS) (Gr.9-12)
- Partook in an extensive project in which the members and I organized a large-scale golf tourament to fundraise money for the Heart & Stroke Foundation.
- Raised over $40,000 with over 50 sponsors gathered.
Independent Researcher (11) Assistant Researcher (12)
- Independent research on the topic of ""Factors Affecting Mortality Rate in Kenya using Coefficient Degression" and won an award for it at an international conference where students from all over the world gather to present their research papers.
- Assistant researcher of an extensive project with Hankyong University on the topic of "Profit Maxmization for Local Farmers in the Gyonggi-Do Province." The project was requested by the province.
Member (9&10) Event Organizer (11&12) of the Globalizer Club
- Volunteered for school events and performances.
- Organized school fairs, and fundraising events.
- Volunteered weekly for environmental causes. Cleaning up the school, etc.
Camp Assistant (9 & 10) Camp Leader (11) of Regional Kids Spring Camp
-Led many organized activities, planned events, and in grade 12, operated the entire camp.
Vice President (11) President (12) of Basketball Club
-Played weekly with other members and helped host school basketball tournaments to fundraise money.
Member of Varsity Basketball Team (9,10)
Intern as Financial Analyst at Bank (11,12)
Life Guard and Swim Instructor at Local Pool (11,12)
*Also joined minor clubs and participated in minor activities.
Teacher 1: Excellent
Teacher 2: Good
Additional Rec: By research advisor, a professor at the university. Excellent.
Common App: 8/10
Short Answer: 8/10
Regional Service Award for Talent and Dedication
Excellent Youth Scholar Award at the 2nd International Conference for Youth
Outstanding Spanish Student
Award of Excellence from Science Department
DELE Intermediate Level Certificate