Quote: Decision: ACCEPTED! Major: Graphic Design with a minor in Advertising Stats:
- SAT: 1670
- ACT: n/a
- SAT IIs: n/a
- GPA: 3.35
- Rank: 198 out of 409
- Other stats: 4 IB courses, 1 math course through BYU, 1 math course through PSU, TONS of community service for cancer related charities and organizations , 4 year experienced rower (crew), Relay for Life committee member
- Essays: My Chapman Essay was about my experience with cancer through my point of view during a recent event. I am a very good writer, and I also had this peer edited by four very qualified adults and teachers, as well as many friends. I began working on this essay during the middle of my summer vacation. For my supplemental Art Essay, I wrote about my experience the first time I was exposed to Graphic Design last year and how I had discovered a raw talent that I never knew I had.
- Teacher Recs: Two AMAZING teacher recs. One from my math teacher, who I respect more than anyone. She wrote about how I am not the best in math, but my attitude and character shine through and enables me to do well in anything I put my mind too. Also killer rec from my Graphic Design/Yearbook teacher
- Counselor Rec: My counselor REALLY likes me. We have a great connection, and I made it a point to meet her the first day of Freshmen year. She wrote an amazing rec from what she has told me, and I believe her. She was almost more excited when I got accepted than I was!!
- Hook (if any): I am a cancer survivor, and I used that traumatic experience to write my essay. It was basically through my eyes from an event that occurred during a Survivor's Lap when I saw this little girl who was about my age when I was battling cancer. I basically explained my thoughts when I saw the girl and related them to my own struggles.
- State or Country: Washington, USA. (Originally from Orange, CA; moved to Washington sophomore year)
- School Type: One of the top ranked public high schools in Washington. Very competitive student body, where practically everyone takes one or more IB classes.
- Ethnicity: Caucasian
- Gender: Female
I applied Early Action. Two Chapman admissions counselors know me by name. I also had a very successful interview with the art department. I am in love with Chapman and it was (and is) my number one school. So I made it a point to go out of my way to attend every event they hosted that was practical to me. I submitted my entire application and art supplement in October. I also flew down for Discover Chapman Day in November and had my art portfolio interview in person. Attended Chapman's Dessert Reception in Seattle, Washington in October. General Comments:
I know I am NOT the best academic student nor the best test taker, and I am kind of on the low average for Chapman. I think what won them over was that I proved the type of person I am to them. I work harder than really anyone I know, and things do indeed take a while for me. Once I reach a goal, however, I am at the very top. For those of you who are like me and have less than 'average' academic scores- dont despair! Show them who you are, at Chapman, character is worth more than any GPA or SAT score you can receive! Otherwise I dont think I would have gotten in!