Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

If you got 34+ on act

bacchusbacchus Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited December 2010 in ACT Preparation
how/ how much did you study for it? just practice tests, reading the ACT book? and can reading SAT books help you succeed on the ACT?
Post edited by bacchus on

Replies to: If you got 34+ on act

• SnakeflySnakefly Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    I don't know if this will help, but....

I took no ACT practice tests and didn't study at all for the ACT. The only preparation I had were the classes I took my junior year, which were Jazz band, AP US history, honors english, AP biology, spanish 3/4, concert band, and precalculus. Obviously not all of these helped for the test. Also I was so busy with cross country, wrestling, and tennis during the year, I didn't even get straight A's in these classes. I also was in NHS, FBLA, and Key Club, and went to everything for those clubs, as well as all the competitions in both bands I was in. Needless to say, I was booked, and I didn't get much sleep throughout the school year just trying to stay on top of things. Tests that helped in preparation were the three AP tests I had taken before, and the SAT the weekend before. So I took the SAT the first weekend in June, and the ACT the weekend after. Before taking the SAT, I was busy with finals and massive semester projects, so I didn't get any studying time in, and almost no sleep, and scored a 1990. The next week I pretty much slept like 12 hours every single day, and didn't study for the ACT. When I took the ACT, I was super refreshed and was in a good mindset after all the rest. I ended up scoring a perfect 36, and didn't miss a single question, so it was truly a "perfect" score. Lesson learned: GET SOME GOOD SLEEP BEFORE TAKING BIG TESTS!!
  • Twins127Twins127 Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    The people who get 36's don't seem to study much. They are just really smart, don't follow their habits. Learn the rules and then take a lot of practice tests. Also, take the ACT as many times as possible. I only took it twice and got a 32 and then a 34. If I took it a couple more times I think I would have gotten a 35 from practice.
  • elbeeenelbeeen Posts: 1,222Registered User Member
    Well, I agree with Snakefly on the sleeping part. A lot of people study the night before the test and you're only hurting yourself. Sleep, relax, watch a movie, eat a good breakfast. Basically everything they've been telling you since kindergarten. The night before the test is not the night to cram!
  • cjgonecjgone Posts: 1,520- Senior Member
    and can reading SAT books help you succeed on the ACT?
    I didn't study a lot but I actually did the CR sections of the SAT in the blue book (w/o vocab part) for practice for the ACT reading. I would have taken the SAT, but unfortunately there's vocabulary.

I took 2/3 ACT red book tests over a 3 year period and did about 6 CR tests; I did take the ACT several times though because practice tests aren't like the real thing. It's good to have the practice under pressure and to actually see how good your timing really is.

Sleeping is definitely important. I have chronic headaches and blurry\flashing vision almost every day but I made sure I slept enough for my last ACT. I didn't feel that well but I felt much better than any other time I took it and my score showed that (34, my best). Eat a good breakfast and make sure you are hydrated. I don't know if i'm alone here, but I get dizzy if I don't drink enough and I see flashy lights in my eyes (beyond the static that I already see everyday).
  • ohmyghosh09ohmyghosh09 Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah i feel like the act shows like innate smartness/just doing your homework so you get good at answering questions. Just take some practice tests. ACT tests basic stuff
  • arreyn emmearreyn emme Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
    didn't study much / reading sat books can help / take a few practice tests to get a vibe and timing for the test but don't over do it / just study what you got wrong / chill / be confident / sleep well / do well / end of story / :)
  • jerebearjerebear Posts: 47Registered User New Member
    Over Mid-Winter break, I took a couple practice tests and read a prep book. That's pretty much all I did.
  • MikeypzMikeypz Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    I haven't gotten a 34+ yet, but I hope to do so this Saturday :)

As some have suggested, do NOT cram the night before, especially if you've been cramming all week.
    It'd be best to let your fatigued brain just rest a night :)
    My plan for Friday night: work out, eat, Modern Warfare 2, sleep.
    :)