Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

How to get an act of 34-36

treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited June 2011 in ACT Preparation
I took the SAT in March and got 2120. This converts to probably 30 on an ACT, but I have to score above 34 on the September test. WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE. Therefore, I DESPERATELY need help! Please tell me which prep class is best, which book to get, and any useful strategies or methods you have used during your ACT prep. I really appreciate your help! Thnx!
Post edited by treasurehunter on

Replies to: How to get an act of 34-36

• crazyspaz27crazyspaz27 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    I got the same score on my SAT but when I took the ACT in June I got a 35. Personally, I did not prep at all, but after taking it, I can tell you that by far the best way to do better is to do practice tests and time yourself. The timing was by far the hardest part and if I had practiced that, I would probably have gotten a 36. So make sure you do that. And by the way, the SAT score is not a good indicator of ACT score. The tests are significantly different and you shouldn't let your SAT score discourage you. A 34 is definitely doable with a 2120.
  • gooberboardgooberboard Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Personally I'm against not prepping. Your SAT score roughly translates to a 32, which is an admirable score. A 34 is about a 2250. I got a 34 on my ACT after a 2030 SAT, this is what I did.

I prepped A LOT - couple weeks before the test I made sure I understood all the math formulas and basic english grammar. I also recommend that you DO NOT read the Science background information and go straight to the diagrams. As for reading, I didn't really have a set structure ... but don't be afraid to jump around passages.

The week of the test I did tons of practice. That is the best way to score big, tons of practice.

Books I used:
    1296 ACT practice questions by Princeton Review
    The book is slightly harder than the real deal, however it wasn't significantly harder and it prepped me very well.
  • liv4physiczliv4physicz Posts: 2,295- Senior Member
    I got like a 2030 (2080 superscored) SAT but a 35 ACT....
  • statlantastatlanta Posts: 732Registered User Member
    I barely prepped - I took a practice test the night before. The best advice I can offer you is to pace yourself and know your math. You also need some luck; anybody who gets 34-36 has a little bit of luck involved.
    ^ agreed. Science could've been a lot worse for me, but luckily the "fighting scientists" passage was about physics (which I love) and not something like bio.
  • karaokemachinekaraokemachine Posts: 910Registered User Member
    I've done some practice problems, and the test seems pretty easy, but people tell me the curve is insane. Basically, if you miss one problem, you're down to a 35 in that section already. Is it really that brutal?
    ^ depends. this time (June act), you could miss 1 and still get a 36 (as I did) because it was a harder test than usual so it was curved like this.
  • treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    Thank you to everyone that replied. What prep classes did you guys go to? Does anyone have a curve that says what raw score = what total score?