Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Questions about ACT

frznpixelfrznpixel Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2012 in ACT Preparation
I took the SAT last month and didn't do as well as my diagnostic tests might have shown. I signed up for the ACT that's coming up early this month, and I decided to take a practice test from a McGraw Hill book of 10 ACT tests. I got a 33, with a 28 in English that kept me from scoring higher (28E, 33M, 34R, 35S). Overall I felt is was much easier than the SAT because it didn't involve the riddle-like questions that the SAT presents.

Has anyone ever taken McGraw Hill ACT exams? Are they easier than the real thing? People have told me that the ACT has so many questions that you have a to go really fast, but I felt that at a decent pace, I was not rushing and I finished each section with 5 or so minutes to spare. I'm quite surprised how well I did in comparison to the SAT, not that I did horrible on the SAT.

Also, I left out the essay when I took the practice test this morning. Does that affect your grade much. Will that bring my score up much if I do well, or is it ignored by colleges?

Thanks for your time.
Post edited by frznpixel on

Replies to: Questions about ACT

• JoBennyJoBenny Posts: 707Registered User Member
    Bump cos I'd like to know too!
  • frznpixelfrznpixel Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    Bump, bump, bumpety, bump.
  • UrAverageAznUrAverageAzn Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    Ok so first I had a thread before comparing the practice tests of individuals vs their actual test. I'll link you to it when I find it. Second, I took the Sat too and did wayyy better (over 300 points better) on the ACT-- I got a 2040 on the SAT. Though, it might have been a lucky test, or I just really messed up on the SAT, you kno? But anyways, I'm not so sure about the mcgraw tests or whatever but I did get around 32,33, and 34's on the red ACT, and with 5 practice tests and throrough correcting I got a 35 on the real thing somehow. Call it luck, skill, the ACT is very doable. Look up tips and tricks, know the test, and I think you'll b set.
  • UrAverageAznUrAverageAzn Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    Here's da thread : http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/act-preparation/1275832-official-act-practice-test-vs-real-scores.html

SO my advice? Take the RED ACT book test and see how you do. Go on from there.
  • LadyHamLadyHam Posts: 265Registered User Junior Member
    UrAverageAzn ~ Thank you so much for the link to that thread! Very helpful information!
  • slnichslnich Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    The REAL ACT PREP GUIDE is the only book that consists of REAL act tests. All the other book makers make up their own..@ frnzpixel: take a test in the RED BOOK!!