Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Improving scores: Where to focus efforts

finngalfinngal Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in ACT Preparation
My dd got her ACT scores from 10/12 test yesterday, and we're trying out where to focus study or test prep efforts
E:31
M:31
R:30
S: 27
Composite: 30

Obviously science was lowest, but I don't understand how the composite is determined. If she focuses on science and can bring it up to 30-31, could she get a 32 composite? Doesn't make sense logically, but we're trying to figure out how to best improve her score a couple points. She's a junior
Post edited by finngal on

Replies to: Improving scores: Where to focus efforts

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    I believe the composite score is determined by finding the average of all the section scores, then rounding up. So (E,M,R,S) = (31,31,30,31) would become a composite score of 31. If English, Math and Reading scores remain the same, the science score would have to be a 33 in order to get a 32 composite.
  • PreplyPreply Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, the composite is determined by averaging all four sections.

If the composite is a fraction, it is rounded to the nearest whole number. e.g., A composited score of 30.5 would be rounded to 31.

Your dd is doing well. If you want to improve her score, I would focus on general test prep. She needs to improve her subsections by a total of 7 points to get to a 32. Obviously, science has the greatest potential for improvement, but you shouldn't ignore the other sections.
  • finngalfinngal Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    thanks for the feedback. I guess I was overthinking it - that there was more complex logic involved in the composite score, lol. We will probably have her retake it in February, with some time to review a bit over break and see how she does. She's shooting for a 32+...
  • tchaikconcertotchaikconcerto Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    English was one of the more straightforward sections to improve for me.