Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to get a 36 on the dreaded science...

IHATESATIHATESAT Posts: 790Registered User Member
edited April 2007 in ACT Preparation
Post your tips
Post edited by IHATESAT on

Replies to: How to get a 36 on the dreaded science...

• hyperpuritan1636hyperpuritan1636 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    I got a 35, do you still want my advice?
  • sous_lepontmirabeausous_lepontmirabeau Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
    Don't read the passages - just look at the graphs and only refer back to the passages if you absolutely have to. The passages are full of useless information. Only read the parts necessary to understanding the graphs.

Also, practice reading graphs/charts/tables. If you're not skilled at it already, you need to practice.
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Posts: 827Registered User Member
    I posted a while back on this, pretty much saying what the above poster said. I got a 36. The method works extremely well.
  • hyperpuritan1636hyperpuritan1636 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    That advice is really good.

The main thing to do is to realize that sci passages aren't difficult. Get exposed to as many passages as possible before the test. You'll become better and better at quickly deciphering the crap.
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,352CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    Just read the questions first. DO NOT READ THE PASSAGE FIRST. Most questions will tell you specifically where to look (EX. In Chart 1...). If it does not say where to look then quickly scan each paragraph for the key words. When you get down to the opposing scientists then just read through like a Reading section passage.
  • SophieCSophieC Posts: 209Registered User Junior Member
    yea suggestions are great.... i got a 33 composite and science really brought me down(30) i got 36,31,and a 34 on the others... so getting a 34 in science would really help
  • ihaterunningihaterunning Posts: 271Registered User Junior Member
    i got a 36 science and agree with the other posters about not reading the passage
  • jlauer95jlauer95 Posts: 2,537. Senior Member
    I agree with not reading the passages at first. But sometimes it's necessary to scan for distinct info that is needed to answer a few questions. When and if you guys scan, do you underline important points?
  • J momJ mom Posts: 440Registered User Member
    Do you need physics to do well(35-36)in the science section? My son is only taking honors bio and chem.
    Thanks
  • IHATESATIHATESAT Posts: 790Registered User Member
    No, they ask relatively little on physics. But they will give you charts and graphs anyway. Pretty much science = reading graphs...
  • jlauer95jlauer95 Posts: 2,537. Senior Member
    Hey High Scorers on Science:

How much time do you spend on each problem? I think my son tries to "read too much" into each question.
  • PRiSM92289PRiSM92289 Posts: 524Registered User Member
    hmm I like this topic
  • PatrickKPatrickK Posts: 347Registered User Member
    I skipped the passages, went straight to the questions, and answered all the questions. I was confident on 95% of the questions, yet they tell me I received a 20, while a friend of mine who guessed got a 33. I honestly don't believe my schools reports.
  • SpecialPrancerSpecialPrancer Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    I got a 32 on the Science. Ran out of time and had to guess on the last couple of problems. Sometimes not reading the passages can come back to hurt you if you don't fully understand the experiment that's going on. :(
  • SophieCSophieC Posts: 209Registered User Junior Member
    only read the documents if it is one of the ones with two different theories. read CAREFULLY and UNDERLINE... the rest of the passages just skim (10 seconds) and then answer questions

i got a 36 on science