Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Arco/Peterson's Study Guide - Harder than the real thing?

Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
edited April 2006 in ACT Preparation
I've been practicing with the Arco/Peterson's study guide for the ACT....and I've been consistently getting around a 26 in English (the grammar section). I got a 26 on that same section three years ago, in eighth grade. I took the SAT and got a 790 in writing (80 on MC). I got in the high 70s on the PSAT. My question is, is the Arco/Peterson's ACT much harder than the actual one? If it isn't, any idea what is going on? Help!
Post edited by Annie88 on

Replies to: Arco/Peterson's Study Guide - Harder than the real thing?

• Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    Anyone? Anywhere?
  • mo24mo24 Posts: 329Registered User Member
    What have you been getting on the other sections on the ARCO?

It's much harder than the real thing. In fact, it's probably the hardest book out of all of the study prep books. (Most unrealistic)

It was the first ACT study book I tried, and I did awful on it. English was my best subject on the ARCO practice test, and I still only got a 27 in it. The free online test on the ACT website will give a much better picture of your actual score...

Toss the ARCO and get a better one is my advice. I think studying with that particular book could actually do more harm than good. The real ACT test is nothing like the practice tests in that book.
  • Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    mo24, I think you're right. I just took a "Real ACT" practice test and got a 34 on English soo...

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I guess I won't be using that book anymore...
  • ==paki====paki== Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    haha wow that's a big deviation. Still, I think if you can score a 32 on the Peterson's, then you're set to get a 36 on the real thing. It can't hurt to practice with harder materials...