Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

what is considered a "mediocre," "good," or "excellent" score?

Badkarma89Badkarma89 Posts: 423Registered User Member
edited May 2006 in ACT Preparation
In context to colleges, which scores make the appropriate impact on admissions? (For schools of top 30 calibur, like emory, carnigie mellon, michigan, wake, etc......not the top ivies)

Here's my opinion

Mediocre scores - <28 - may hurt your chances a bit, but not much

Good scores - <32 - may help your chances, but won't make or break you for admissions given that you have the average stats for the target school.

Great scores - >32 - will help you in admissions, may make up for low GPA, lack of extra curriculars, etc.

This is actually to help me understand the importance of scores, such as whether one should retake a 29, a 33, etc.
Post edited by Badkarma89 on

Replies to: what is considered a "mediocre," "good," or "excellent" score?

• BrannyBranny Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    I got a 34 on the ACT, which I consider to be an "excellent" score (thankfully), but I don't think it necessarily makes up for poor scores. I will likely have around a 3.7, which is not commensorate with a 34. The most important thing is being commensorate, but of course go for the best possible score you can. To top 30 colleges, I would think that a mediocre/poor score would be around a 28, which could significantly hurt your chances, but not as much as poor grades throughout high school. A good score would be around a 31, which would have little effect on the admissions process. A 33+ will help your application, especially if you display upward trend. If you have downward trend or just poor grades overall, no score will make up for it.
  • Badkarma89Badkarma89 Posts: 423Registered User Member
    right. By "make up" I mean that it will help you significantly and/or it will make you stand out if you already have a great gpa.
    For example, a 3.6 kid with a 35 is more likely to get into top schools than a 3.8 kid with a 29 in my opinion.
  • willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Posts: 3,344Registered User Senior Member
    Wake flat out does not accept ACT scores FYI.
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,034Registered User Senior Member
    They said at their info session last month that next year they will accept the ACT.
  • giselegisele Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    i think the threshold for a good ACT score is 30 or 31. anything above is great...anything close to or below like a 28 isn't terrible, but maybe not what the most select colleges are looking for.
  • futurenyustudentfuturenyustudent Posts: 5,366Registered User Senior Member
    But NYU's 25-75 range for the ACT was 25-29....

What would be a mediocre/good/great or excellent score for NYU?

Like:
    Mediocre: </= 27
    Good: </= 29
    Great/excellent: 30+

Does that sound about right for NYU (Stern ED)?