Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

Replies to: ***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

• TACOBOOTACOBOO Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I did not like the writing prompt at all X(
    English was easy
    Math was hard but math is not my best subject
    Reading was difficult for me because I had a panic attack :(( ,I literally couldn't focus
    My panic attack went away during the science section (thankfully)
    Expecting a 25-29 (I know it's kind of low, but I'm retaking in June)
  • govictors555govictors555 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Thought we could use this thread to discuss things (not specific questions) while we await our results!!!
  • sweetmintsweetmint Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    edited April 8
    Took the ACT today as well. I can say that this time around, it was definitely one of the easier ones out of the three tests total I have already taken (December & March). And It was much easier than most of the practice tests I have taken, and time went pretty well this time (finishing just in the nick of time). In terms of difficulty I would say imo Reading & Writing were the hardest, but then again I always struggle the most on Reading because I can never finish in time. The rest of the sections were pretty easy. How much do you guys think the curve will be?

English: Pretty straightforward. Usually one of my stronger sections (consistent 31s-33s). Around 3-4 I wasn't sure about. Expecting 32-33

Math: I actually thought this section was the easiest contrary to others but Math is always my strongest section on the ACT (consistent 33s-35s) so that might explain why. But compared to most math sections, this is one of the tougher ones I have taken- especially the last 10 or so questions were tricky. Guessed on two questions. Expecting 33-34

Reading: Always my worst section because I always run out of time (score fluctuates a lot anywhere from 27-31). However, this time around I finished in time, but as always, some extra time would have been nice since I guessed on three questions that I didn't have time to come back to. Expecting 30-32

Science: Very easy; I flew through the questions as there was much less reading to do than most science sections (most were data/graph analysis). Finished in time but guessed on three. This section is usually pretty easy for me but it all comes down to time so I usually score around 28-31. But for this test, I was pretty good on time. Expecting 31-33

Writing: I probably did the worst on this section as I bombed the end. By the time I got to the writing section, my stamina just plummeted for some reason. I spent way too much time planning and my thoughts were just really unorganized and hectic from the previous sections still on my mind. I just couldn't come up with the right words and examples to use. When the proctor called 5 minutes left, I was on my 3rd paragraph (yeah you can imagine how that went). I rushed though my 3rd, & 4th paragraph which was probably the most important because it was the paragraph to support my argument. And for my "conclusion", I literally wrote one unfinished thesis/sentence because that's all I had time for. But I did write around two pages and my handwriting is on the smaller end.
    However, I never did any practice essays (just read over some sample essays). The first time I wrote a full ACT essay was in the December test when I got a 9 out of 12 which really surprised me because I never practiced and just kind of bs'd it. I'm really hoping my score on this section won't drag the rest of my ACT score (is it possible to not send the Writing section to colleges? Because I think I got like a 6 or 7 this time around.

Overall, I think my composite will be a 31-33. But I am aiming for a 33-34 so I might need to retake it if I get below 32.5
  • lalalander111lalalander111 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    edited April 8
    My son took the test today and after a lot of research we decided that he would not take the writing portion.
    He had not prepared at all for it as far as looking at the format and had other obligations this afternoon.
    It seems that very few schools including the most highly ranked have any interest in the writing portion of the ACT or SAT.
    Just wondering why so many take it?
    My son was one of three who did not-though he might decide to do it if he makes another attempt at the test :)
    He thought the reading was unexpectedly hard then math, ok, science the usual and English easy.
    A lot of luck involved in the ACT, though , as far as avoiding silly mistakes.
    So....30-34? ish?
  • BondTutoringBondTutoring Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I found this math section about the same as December's. The math section is getting harder.
    The writing section is stupid. I expect that, ten years from now, it will be gone. More colleges will let it go, and the A.C.T. & S.A.T. won't find it worthwhile.
    edited April 10
    Yes, the math is getting more difficult. Also, I took the extra section in math (16 questions, 20 minutes), and most of them were difficult as well.
    Post edited by skieurope on
    You will probably have to take the entire A.C.T. again, Kxailia. When the proctors say, "Pencils down", then pencils down.
    Sweetmint, if you send those A.C.T. scores, then the writings scores go, too.
  • TACOBOOTACOBOO Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Yesterday was my first time taking it. I definitely need a retake. English was easy. Math was hard, but math is not my strongest subject anyway. Reading was difficult for me because I had a panic attack and couldn't focus. Science was a little better, but it was still difficult for me to focus.
    Retaking in June.
  • govictors555govictors555 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I thought math was harder than usual
  • SO180242SO180242 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Overall, it was alright:
    English: Really easy, I pacee myself really good and completed all 75 questions. Expecting a 27-32
    Math: Tougher than usual, got to just 50 and guess on the rest. I got a 23 the last time, hopefully, I get around the same score, like a 23-24.
    Reading: Honestly, it wasn't that bad, but this is always my weakest section, but I did three passages and 2 questions on the last passage and then I guess on the rest. Probably expecting a 20-23.
    Science: Super easy, probably the easist one that I did in a long time. Most of the passages were just graphs and tables. Expecting a 26-31 on this one.
    Writing: Prompt was pretty straightfoward. I planned for 6 minutes and then I wrote 5 paragraphs. Hopefully I get an 8-9 on this one
    Composite: Overall the test was alright, my overall score will probably be around a 24-27.
  • studentathlete18studentathlete18 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    E: 33-35
    M: 25/26
    R: 19-21
    S: :21-23
    Based on the sample scoring for one test in my ACT guide book. I put a margin of error of roughly +/- 1 question to account for varying levels of test difficult and number of test takers.
  • wannagotoivywannagotoivy Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    what? science was really easy
  • momto8momto8 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    My daughter took this test. She said the reading was particularly difficult for her. She placed the difficulty in this order (most difficult to least). Reading/Math/Science/English
    She felt the writing topic was easy as well.
    She is expecting 29 as a low composite and is hopeful for a 32.
    She noted that science was particularly easy. Math was easier than she anticipated. English is always easy for her. Reading was the only subject that gave her cause for concern--she feels this is what could possibly pull her composite down to 29.