Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

SO180242SO180242 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Any suggestions to improve my reading score from a 21 to a 26-28

Replies to: ***APRIL 2017 ACT DISCUSSION THREAD***

• kalonskalons Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Hey! I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but it was definitely helpful to me:

– Read the entirety of the first paragraph
    – Read the first and last sentence of all other paragraphs
    – Read the entirety of the last paragraph

This gives you a general idea of how the story begins, the information provided in each paragraph, and how the story concludes. I rose ELEVEN points using this strategy (I went from a 21 to a 32). Apparently, they tell you not to do this, but, hey, it worked for me, so I figured I might as well mention it.

I also:

– Did NOT read the answer choices for the questions. I would actually cover up the choices and make my own interpretation of the answer to the question then pick the one that sounded closest to mine.
    – After I finished reading, I looked through the questions rather quickly to see if there were any "In line 62, the author..." questions to which I needed to go back and underline/pay special attention.

I really hope this helps you! It's all about trial and error! :)
  • SO180242SO180242 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @kalons Thank you, I'm been trying that, but just skimming the whole passage and I recently got a 26 on practicing. Hopefully, I can get that score tomorrow.
  • TACOBOOTACOBOO Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Taking the ACT for the first time tomorrow :((
  • junior1818junior1818 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    taking it for the first time as well tmrw! Best of luck to everybody :)
    Anyone know if lead pencils are allowed??
  • TACOBOOTACOBOO Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @junior1818 you can't use mechanical pencils
  • physicsfuturephysicsfuture Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Just finished thank god it's over
    Dear lord that math
  • rapscallionrapscallion Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Took it today. Felt like it wasn't too bad. Aiming for at least a 32 composite. Kept taking old ACT tests and scoring 32-33+ on every section for studying (timed obviously). Reading>Science>English>Math in terms of difficulty for me. Finished every section in time but had to rush on the last 3 for reading.
  • govictors555govictors555 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    did anyone think the math was harder than usual
  • kalonskalons Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    edited April 8
    Difficulty Rank from Hardest to Eastiest, in my opinion:

– Math
    – Reading
    – Science
    – English

Math: I ALWAYS struggle from around question thirty-five onwards. However, I think my overall math score went up, so I'm praying for the best in that category. Expecting a 27-28.

Reading: Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be as rigorous as it was. I usually get down to one-two questions not done, but when the proctor called five minutes, I hadn't done five-seven… talk about a let down. Hopefully this has a generous curve, lol. Expecting a 29-31.

Science: I FLEW through science. I was absolutely not expecting it to be as easy as it was. I don't want to jinx myself, but I believe I did impeccable on this section this go around. Expecting a 33-36.

English: Easy as always. I finished with around seven minutes to go. Expecting a 34-36.

Writing/Essay: Pretty straightforward. The prompt was right up my alley in terms of what I'm able to write on. Expecting a 9-10(?).

Overall, I'm expecting, HOPING for, a composite of around 31-33. I think I'll take it in June as well. Math needs to give me a break! Lol. 8-|
  • premednyypremednyy Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    oh god i did terrible on the math which is usually my best section. I think my best was either writing or science. Reading was not good for me because i was too hung up on the math section so I was really distracted. As for the writing, i liked the prompt and my essay.
  • Shim00Shim00 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I did horrible on my act :(( in fact its voided...
  • kxailiakxailia Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    English: Really easy, finished 15 min early

Math: This math section was probably the hardest out of all the practice tests I've taken. The test was ok up until #40-- there were a lot of difficult problems sprinkled throughout the last 20 problems.

Reading: Can't really tell because I always struggle with reading, but seemed around the same difficulty as practice reading tests.

Science: Easy. Usually I struggle to finish the science section, but I finished 5 minutes early this time.
    _____

Does anyone happen to know what happens to your test if you work overtime? I think I did okay on every section, but I screwed up when I got to the essay-- was working on the last sentence of my conclusion when the proctor called time. I was midsentence and thought it would only take a few seconds for me to finish it up so I decided to keep going, bad choice. The proctor called me out after the test, filed a report, and said that I could call ACT on monday to talk about it.

Does this mean my test is most likely/for sure going to be invalidated? Also, if this happens, anyone know if it's possible to only retake the essay portion? I felt pretty good about this test so I'm really praying I don't have to retake the entire thing.
    edited April 8
    Math was very hard for me (usually my best) but I didn't let that get to me, cuz I knew stressing myself out unnecessarily when there was nothing I could do would only hurt me, so I took a few deep breaths during the break, went to the bathroom, ate my snack then came back with a cool mind... so reading and science weren't too bad for me; surprising because it's usually my worse.
    the writing prompt was super weird to say the least lol.
    @kxailia my girlfriend had something like that happen to her during the september test but it ended up being fine. not sure if the proctor actually followed through with filing the report or not but she still got back her scores.