Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

sat essay = act essay

MagerieMagerie Posts: 292Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2006 in ACT Preparation
are these essays similar b/c i get 12s on the sat essay, but htis is the first time i will be doing the act essay..just windering how they grade it
Post edited by Magerie on

Replies to: sat essay = act essay

• n1lay1n1lay1 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    also do college allow more flexibility with ACT since it is only out of 36, like i know nyu says 27 - 31, that is small gap. Also do colleges prefer one over the other since i know it says 93% submitted SAT 7% did ACT's
  • madamebovarymadamebovary Posts: 1,640Registered User Senior Member
    the essay is pretty different. ACT essay is more like a persuasive essay
  • PuppetzzPuppetzz Posts: 305Registered User Junior Member
    Depends on the school. At MSU people talk about the ACT like the SAT doesnt exist.
  • whylionwhylion Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter got a 12 on the sat essay and an 11 on the ACT. They give you a little more time for the ACT -- I think 35 min instead of 25. Good luck.
  • adriannamadriannam Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    Depends on the school. At MSU people talk about the ACT like the SAT doesnt exist.

That's because people in Michigan act like the SAT doesn't exist... we have honestly have counselors who advise us against taking the SAT for some reason. As a junior, there were only a couple other people in my class who knew what SAT Subject tests were.. maybe five total. the other potentially-Ivy-bound students.
  • DianeRDianeR Posts: 1,541Registered User Senior Member
    I don't understand the question about "scaling" one's score. You are told your percentile. There are conversion charts for translating the ACT to SAT or vice versa.

I don't see why you would get more flexibility just because the grading scale is different. Schools will want a similar level of performance regardless of which test is selected.

Ask potential colleges if they have a preference. Everyone I ever talked to said no. Since there is nothing wrong with expressing a preference if they have them, and in fact colleges used to do so and have chosen to move away from that, I see no reason to believe they are lying.

Most people applying to colleges submit the usual test results either because they and those colleges are in the geographic region where a particular test has historically been used OR folks are sheep and want to continue to do what has usually been done whether it is necessary or not. I imagine most kids submit SATs to NYU because it is in New York and people tell them that east coast schools "prefer" the SAT. What NYU itself tells people seems to make no difference. If they get ACT scores, they will just translate them into an SAT equivalent.

In other words, unless you want to go to the one place I know of that requires the SAT (Harvey Mudd), you should simply go with the test you do the best on.

I live in SAT country. My daughter only took the ACT and is attending Brown, even though most everyone applying there submits SAT scores. So many people around here thought she was doing something so incredibly risky. Really, riskier than submitting one's weaker testing to a very selective school?

This seems to come up so often on CC. I really wonder -- are school GCs clueless or what?
    DianeR.. if you don't mind me asking, what did your daughter score on the ACT? I'm potentially looking into Brown, having scored a 32 (only took it one) and plan to take it again in October.
  • DianeRDianeR Posts: 1,541Registered User Senior Member
    She scored 30. The math and science portion brought down the composite; the average for the other two sections was 33. Someone on CC said that he was told by Brown that they do look at subscores -- math and science aren't relevant to my daughter's planned field.

I've heard that Brown isn't as numbers-driven as some places. So I think some qualitative factors came into play with her application -- I'm sure there are folks who scored higher that didn't get in. (You can look at the figures on the Brown web site for the last admitted class. Admission isn't a matter of the highest test scores get in. Those figures just show SAT scores but you can convert your ACT scores to get some idea. The higher the score the higher the acceptance rate -- but the folks with higher scores may have other things going for them, etc.)

Anyway, 32 is a great score and certainly is high enough to qualify you for Brown. Last time I looked the 25-75 percentile range for Brown was 29-32 (but don't quote me!) Whether you get in will depend on the rest of your application. Good luck! Brown is a great school and my daughter is very happy there.
    Thanks! I'll cross my fingers as soon as I submit my application. ;)
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 536Registered User Member
    The act essay involves persuasion most of the time(ie. write a letter...) while the SAT essay gives you a quote and asks you to agree or disagree with it(argumentation).