Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is the ACT easier than SAT?

paulfoersterpaulfoerster Posts: 381- Member
edited April 2009 in ACT Preparation
Is the ACT easier than the SAT? My SAT scores are pretty bad, but I'm a really good student and have a great memory
Post edited by paulfoerster on

Replies to: Is the ACT easier than SAT?

• lildude3077lildude3077 Posts: 249Registered User Junior Member
    In My opinion, the questions on the ACT are more simple and easier to understand.
    However, you are given far less time to complete them. You have to be continually moving.

English- 45 Minutes for 75 questions.
    Math- 60 Minutes for 60 Questions
    Reading- 35 Minutes for 40 Questions
    Science- 35 Minutes for 40 Questions

If you pause for a minute, especially in reading and science, you're dead meat. On the SAT, you're usually given more than a minute a question, so if you zone out, it's still bad, but not as bad.

I add that memory would probably help you out more on the SAT, which tests rote memorization of vocabulary. You don't really need to memorize anything for the ACT.
  • nichols08nichols08 Posts: 126Registered User Junior Member
    Its very worth it to give it a try!

Take a practice test and see how it goes!
  • paulfoersterpaulfoerster Posts: 381- Member
    how hard is the science part?
  • Twenty8Twenty8 Posts: 476Registered User Member
    I think most people would agree that science is the hardest section to master; the time limit really makes it difficult.
  • OptimizationOptimization Posts: 1,085. Member
    What does the science part cover? Biology? Phys science?
  • Twenty8Twenty8 Posts: 476Registered User Member
    Honestly, it's been awhile since I took the test, but I *think* it's three sections (bio, chem, phy), but I'm not sure.

Like the other sections, though, the exam is meant to test skills more than knowledge acquisition. However, a basic understanding of the scientific principles of each of the aforementioned natural sciences is a big plus.

A lot of CCers say you should skip the passages, or skim them at best. Personally, I think you can read the whole thing fairly quickly, and still get through the problems faster than constantly going back and forth searching for details.
  • dhuang90dhuang90 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    Are you guys kidding me? Not to be arrogant or anything, but I thought Science was the easiest section, even easier than math. I mean, you do not need any prior knowledge, and all you have to do is read the question carefully, refer to the charts/figures, and theres the answer! Easy stuff, don't worry about it. Reading is defintely the hardest section.
  • tennisgal89tennisgal89 Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    I've never heard of anyone doing better on the SAT than the ACT. I do a lot better on the ACT, and I personally think it's an easier test. Also, I think more stupid people take the ACT.
  • collegebond78collegebond78 Posts: 398Registered User Member
    do ivies prefer the sat over the act?
  • FootballPlayerFootballPlayer Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    ACT makes my head hurt less.
  • wildfandango23wildfandango23 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    I personally thought the ACT was a lot easier, and I did a lot better on it (32 vs. 1280). The science is the most confusing even though it really ends up just being data/graph analysis. I'd advice to skip the passage and then go back and look for the answers, but that's just me.
  • tux08902tux08902 Posts: 1,136Registered User Senior Member
    I'm taking the ACT instead as well. My SAT scores are garbage.

My counselor explained it to me this way. The ACT covers harder material, but doesn't try to trick you. The questions are worded in a straightforward way and it's a predictable test since it hardly varies from one month's test to the next. On the other hand, the SAT is basically a strategy test. If you know the test, then you'll do fine. She was cold though; she's like if you can't master it in the first three or four practice tests (see a good improvements) then you won't do well period.
  • davnascadavnasca Posts: 668Registered User Member
    The Sci. section is a gift from God! Easy way (for me at least) to raise your composite. Now, the math section... personally I find it to be a *****!
  • tux08902tux08902 Posts: 1,136Registered User Senior Member
    I've noticed that the science section is the easiest section as well. The math section is a lot tougher than the SAT math. That's a bit discouraging, but if you've taken higher math classes, then you really shouldn't have trouble with the material; only the time, as with all ACT sections, should cause problems.
  • Azure326Azure326 Posts: 1,179Registered User Senior Member
    Overall, I'd say that the ACT is easier. It's broader subjects allows for more room for excellence. However, I agree that the ACT math is harder than the SAT math. For comparison, here's my scores:

SAT:
    Critical Reading: 690
    Math: 770
    Writing: 790

ACT:
    English: 35
    Math: 30
    Reading: 32
    Science: 35
    Composite: 33
    Writing: 8 out of 12

The hardest part about the ACT is the reading section (surprisingly, I scored higher on it than the math), mainly due to the timing. If you're a slow reader, you're in TROUBLE. I'm a somewhat slow reader and I was freaking out when taking the practice exams since I would run out of time when I still had an entire passage + questions left to answer.