Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Possible for a 28+ on ACT for me?

wdrmhbswdrmhbs Posts: 387Registered User Member
edited November 2007 in ACT Preparation
I am taking the ACT Dec. 8th and really would like to achieve a score of 28 or higher because some schools I am applying to require that for scholarships. On the SAT I had an 1150/1720 superscore (CR: 570, M: 580, W: 570). I have a 3.7 GPA and am taking 1 AP.

Just curious if I would have a chance at getting that high on it. It's my first and only time taking them. I am going out tomorrow and buying two study books to help.

Also, tips/advice?
Post edited by wdrmhbs on

Replies to: Possible for a 28+ on ACT for me?

• notthatgood4notthatgood4 Posts: 543. Member
    It's definately possible. I got a 1980 and a 34 ACT, perhaps it will suit you better as well. The most important thing on the ACT to focus on is timing. It plays more of a role than in the SAT in my opinion.
  • kevinscoolkevinscool Posts: 1,059User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    dude you can get a 28, no problem. Proof? I know people (no offense to them at all) who you would not think are smart. People who never take APs, who basically you would think are not headed to a good college. What do they score usually? 28 or above. How? I have no idea. But it seems to me (atleast at my school) that anyone can score above a 28.
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Posts: 387Registered User Member
    So I just got Princeton Review Cracking the ACT book as well as The Real ACT Prep Guide. Hopefully these will help me fulfill my goal!
  • chocolatealtoidschocolatealtoids Posts: 339Registered User Member
    To be honest with you, sat and act scores correlate on some level. Obviously you could do better on one than the other, but you cant expect to get a 1450 out of 2400 on the sat and a 35 on the ACT. When I first took the Sat I got a 1580 out of 2400. I thought I might be more suited for the Act and scored a 24. I then self studied real hard during my free time and brought my SAT to a 1900 and my ACT to a 30, both increasing significatley. This goes to show that while the two tests normally fall in the same range, if you're willing to put in the time there's no reason why you shouldnt get above a 28.
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Posts: 387Registered User Member
    Thank you very much for the optimism!
    I did get a 1540 first time taking the SAT and then I studied pretty hard the week before I took it the 2nd time and achieved a score of 1720. Now I am going to start preparing for the ACT a month in advance so hopefully it will work to my favor. I have to be confident too, because I'm usually not.
  • grantortuegrantortue Posts: 1,034Registered User Senior Member
    def, i had a 1750 on the SAT and scored a 28, practically a 29, completely cold
  • kevinscoolkevinscool Posts: 1,059User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    they correspond, but i think it depends who u are. Do you get the math and everything and can do it fast? Then the ACT is for you. There is basically no tricks or anything for the ACT. The SAT on the other hand depends on how easily u can figure out the tricks in the problem
  • tribe567tribe567 Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    I have a 1770 superscore (M:680 E:560 CR:530) and just took the ACT for the first time and recieved a composite of a 30 (M:31 S:36 R:28 E:24). It's definitely possible.
  • salsabeefsteaksalsabeefsteak Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    I would suggest that you get your hands on all of the prep material that you can find (my local library stockpiles practice books), since this will undoubtedly give you a good feel as to what’s on the actual test. Set aside an hour each day for studying a designated section, and eventually you will become so familiar with the test that the real ACT will just feel like another practice test, albeit a very important one!

By the way, don’t forget to time yourself taking the tests (and it’s not a bad idea to practice using shortened time, because the real ACT has a tendency to go by a lot quicker when you’re sitting in a classroom with everything to lose).

Studying will definitely raise your score – it does for everybody. The more you study the better your grade will be…guaranteed.
  • FeezFeez Posts: 842Registered User Member
    I agree with chocolatealtoids about the two tests being correlated. I took the SAT without really studying back in March and got an 1840, and I took the ACT in september and didn't study either, and got a 25, which is a little lower than the 1840 I think.

I studied for a week before the Oct. ACT and scored a 32.
  • stucoman674stucoman674 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    I got a 1170/1720 on the SAT, and I got a 28 on the ACT. Didn't really prepare.