Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Practice is Useless?

serenap73serenap73 Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2008 in ACT Preparation
I have been practicing for the ACT for 2 months. I am a junior and I took the ACT for the first time in December. I was so frustrated after running out of time on the English and math that on the second half I could not concentrate and started filling in random bubbles. The timing is so difficult. On english and math I had to fill in ten randomly. I want to practice but will it even help me in a situation that has to do with timing? My goal score is a 31 and I don't think I even got a 19 to be honest. What should I do?
Post edited by serenap73 on

Replies to: Practice is Useless?

• HelloAllHelloAll Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    Hmmm.... I practiced over the summer and took the Sept ACT for my first time. The time was definately a factor. The more timed practice you do on your own, the better you will do. Fortunately, I got my highest ACT score the 1st time even though I was pretty nervous.

The way I keep track of timing during the test is to distribute the sub-sections out evenly.

For example, the reading section has 4 reading passages. I know that I have about 8 minutes or so MAX to finish. Make sure you do not go over the time limit by a lot. If its a few seconds, then finish the question. Keep your brain concentrated on the passages even if they're not very interesting, it's the only way you can finish and achieve a good score.
  • futureEEfutureEE Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    The more you practice the better.

Six months ago I would run out of time on english at around 55 questions, now I finish it in a half hour. I got 30 comp, maybe higher in december. I'd say my obsessive practice is what did it.
  • OstonziOstonzi Posts: 522- Member
    Well. Learn to rush. i mean really. RUSH when you practice. until you have a clear 15-20 extra minutes when u're done.
    THEN get to focusing on what you're getting wrong.

people develop techniques that end up being really hard to be fast with.