Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

List of Top Schools That Do Not Require ACT Writing?

bob64bob64 Posts: 140Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2010 in ACT Preparation
Is there a list anywhere? Just wondering. I'm a little nervous about ACT Writing.
Post edited by bob64 on

Replies to: List of Top Schools That Do Not Require ACT Writing?

• Egbert SousEgbert Sous Posts: 654Registered User Member
    There isn't a list since all the good schools (good, in cc terms) require ACT writing.

There used to be a thing where you could type in a college name and it would tell you its ACT writing policy.

I can't find it right now, so if anyone else remembers this and can post a link, the author might find it helpful. :)
  • cjgonecjgone Posts: 1,520- Senior Member
    Georgetown is pretty much the only one now.

Cornell looks over it, but I don't think it's very important. Most universities don't care that much about the writing on the ACT like on the SAT. But as long as you get like an 8+ you should be okay.
  • dntw8updntw8up Posts: 1,594Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Thanks! :)
  • what.cdwhat.cd Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    Oh cmon, the writing part of the ACT is fun... it's about life in high school, not about creativity and how it has changed over time.
    Just because something is fun does not necessarily mean that it cannot be stressful.
  • omega007omega007 Posts: 580Registered User Member
    Also many great LAC's have the writing requirement optional.
  • amaster008amaster008 Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    University of Chicago doesn't require it and that is a kick ass school if you ask me.
  • jax90291jax90291 Posts: 571Registered User Member
    wake forest is completely test optional... just sayin'
  • bob64bob64 Posts: 140Registered User Junior Member
    Oh cool, Notre Dame only recommends the ACT writing.
    You know, I find it really funny that some of the lower colleges recommend it be taken just so that they can feel more prestigious.
  • CollegePathDavisCollegePathDavis Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    There is a bit of misinformation here. The ACT writing section is generally not required at schools which focus on the physical sciences and mathmatics e.g. CalTech. However, always be aware that the applicant pool may be submitting the writing section. As for Wake Forest being completely testing optional? Wrong. Remember even those schools that are testing optional prefer that students submit testing. Testing optional means that a student will not be denied a review by admissions merely because they have not submitted the correct testing. Sarah Lawrence is the only school that doesn't accept testing.