Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Does your ACT English/Writing Score usually go up after you receive your essay score

JP 1000JP 1000 Posts: 276Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2009 in ACT Preparation
Does your english/writing score usually go up or down...after you receive your essay score.
Post edited by JP 1000 on

Replies to: Does your ACT English/Writing Score usually go up after you receive your essay score

• aaron21aaron21 Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    I would be curious about others, but for me I got a 29 English and unfortunately my 10 on the essay did not change it. (Combined score of 29) I was surprised that I needed to get higher than a 10 for the combined to increase.
  • toledotoledo Posts: 4,131Registered User Senior Member
    Before the essay was graded, wasn't that spot blank? My daughter did well on her essay so her combined score was one point higher than her reading score, if that's what you're asking. Unfortunately, I don't think many schools take the combined reading/writing score into consideration.
  • heyxemilyyheyxemilyy Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    My score went down. I got a 35 on the English section and a 9 on the writing section, giving me a combined score of 32.