Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How important is the essay portion of the ACT?

000000000000 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in ACT Preparation
How important is the essay portion of the ACT? How much would a low combined english/essay score hurt a high composite score? Whenever people put chances threads up on CC, they never seem to mention their essay score and only put their 4 section scores, and repliers never ask for the essay score. How much of an effect does the combined english/essay score have in the eyes of college admission officers? I'm asking this because I took the no writing version of the test and did well, but timed essays are definitely my weakness when it comes to standardized tests..
Post edited by 000000 on

Replies to: How important is the essay portion of the ACT?

• charlotte213charlotte213 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on what school you want to go to.
  • 000000000000 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Well, the school's I'm aiming for are high tier privates and the Ivies, but I will probably end up going to U of Michigan because I'm instate, which makes it a great deal versus a private college. I would love to go to Stanford or Rice though. Can you elaborate?
  • BronxSciBronxSci Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I don't think too much.
    Just do your best and don't worry about the writing too much.
    The composite is, by far, most significant.
    Looks like you are interested in schools in every part of the U.S.!? East, West, South, North. Is the school more important than the location? Go to Rice and no doubt you go to a great school. But I would imagine that U Mich or Chicago for someone who lives in the midwest makes much more sense than Rice or even the Northeast schools.
    U Mich is a very good school and probably as highly regarded as any school, especially in MI. And you will probably have local contacts by the time you graduate.
    Just my opinion.
    Good luck.
  • hmbeasthmbeast Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    Meh. If you have reasonably good writing credentials, write a good application essay, I don't think many colleges factor it in too heavily. For instance, I got a 35 composite score but only an 8/12 on my essay. Big deal? Not really, I must've just had an off day or a reviewer who didn't like my essay for whatever reason. But of course, in order to alleviate any fears adcomms have about my writing skills, I'm going to have to write a good essay, get good grades in my AP English class, and so forth. Most colleges recognize that the ACT writing portion, being a rather new addition, is still in the early stages and is still quite subjective.