Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

Act essay writing

kbbm24kbbm24 Posts: 540Registered User Member
edited January 2010 in ACT Preparation
I did fairly poorly on my SAT essay-an 8, and on the ACT, i am hoping for a 10 or 12
What is the best way to improve this score/practice for writing-is it just to practice prompts?
Post edited by kbbm24 on

Replies to: Act essay writing

• 123collegeforme123collegeforme Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    SAT and ACT look for completely different things in their essays.
    ACT's scoring:
    ACT Writing Test : Scoring Guidelines

This is how I did it and i got a 12:
    Write 5 paragraphs: Introduction (last sentence thesis), Body 1 (proving your point), Body 2 (proving another point), Body 3 (counter argument, but making sure to show why your argument is still better), Conclusion (wrap it all up)
  • Mini VanMini Van Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
    Hi!
    I too, would appreciate any writing advice. D received good score on the exam, but not so good on the writing. This is quite ironic as I felt this was her strength. She said she had some issues with the time. Also, I think she focused on varied sentence construction, transitions, etc. and didn't produce a lot volume wise. Do you believe volume written has an impact? Any more writing advice to raise score is appreciated.
  • NEPatriotsFan92NEPatriotsFan92 Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
    Don't worry too much about the writing.
    The composite is the important score.
    I don't think any schools report the average accepted writing score of their students.
    I think some top schools, like Caltech and Univ. of Chicago don't even require it.
    It's not a big deal......that's my opinion
    good luck.
  • nk9230nk9230 Posts: 776Registered User Member
    is a 30 composite with a 10 on the essay good?
  • NEPatriotsFan92NEPatriotsFan92 Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
    very good, you should already know that from looking at the percentile ranking for a 30 composite.
    the writing score does not count for much
    good luck to you.