Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

While general discussion about the ACT test is allowed by ACT, discussion of test questions may violate your agreement with ACT. Please be thoughtful in your posts and replies.

HELP! 22 on ACT

karimkhan8karimkhan8 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in ACT Preparation
I took the ACT for the first time in the beginning of February. I got a composite score of 22! :/. I know that is a horrible score but I really need to get into a good university. Either IVY leagure or something along the lines of Emory, NYU, Uni of Chicago, etc. Heres my standings:

- FULL IB Diploma**
- Gifted Program
- 22 on ACT Composite
- 3.8 GPA
- President of DECA (founder at new school)
- Student Government
- Curling Team
- Fed-Prov Conference
- Multiculture Team
- Muslim Student's Association
- Junior Achievement
- Wrestling Team
- The Green Team

I also lived all on my own for the last two years of high school if that helps

I don't know what to do? I don't know how to boost my ACT score, cause I worked so hard on this IB diploma and it will be worthless if i dont get a good score! :(
Post edited by karimkhan8 on

Replies to: HELP! 22 on ACT

• hotinpursuithotinpursuit Posts: 719Registered User Member
    A 22 means your chances at a top school are extremely low. Sorry for the bad news. You'll need at least a 28 in order to get into those schools.

I suggest you try the SAT. You may have better luck with that instead.
  • gabby1116gabby1116 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    karimkhan8 - Since you recently took the ACT, I'm figuring you're a junior. If this is the case, I would agree with hotinpursuit in suggesting that you give the SAT a try. If you going to give the ACT another shot, do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on. It seems that many people have a difficult time with the time allotment, so make sure you adhere to them when doing the practice tests. I got the "Real ACT Prep Guide" which helped me.

If you could get you composite up around 32, you would be a strong applicant for the non-ivys you listed. To be competitive in the ivies you would need at least a 34.
  • country daycountry day Posts: 1,186Registered User Senior Member
    What state do you live in? With that score, I would just focus on applying on the schools in your state.
  • ollegerolleger Posts: 1,567Registered User Senior Member
    This may sound harsh (and idk what an IB diploma implies), but it seems as though you may have gone to an easy school? A 22 ACT is basically the average in the nation, and if you are getting that score with a 3.8 UW gpa.... you might be one of those people who works really hard to get that A/B but isn't really smart. You know what I mean? Again I have no idea who you are and am not trying to hurt any feelings, just stating what your score implies.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Posts: 1,727Registered User Senior Member
    A 29 could get you in if you are URM or other hook. My S increased his ACT by 3 points just taking it again-no prep, believe me, because I tried to get him to do something and he didn't. You can buy a book and a cd for 40$, I would absolutely do it.
  • WartsandallWartsandall Posts: 14,151Registered User Member
    Devote a certain amount of time towards studying the material that you aren't too familiar with. As time progresses, you should be able to further develop your comprehension of the concepts. I would also suggest that you take a practice SAT test and compare your results with your ACT score to determine which test you find to be the most preferable.
  • collegebrocollegebro Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    That's bull olleger, a 22 is good for no prep and studying. My sister got a 21 her first time studied for like 2-3 weeks and got a 27 and got into emory with a 3.9UW. A 3.8UW is good and a 22 isn't bad. I'm sure you studied before you took it your first time and wouldn't know how you did if you didn't study. Plus I don't think you are right with not calling him smart. It doesn't matter if your smart or not you still have to study for it like he did in school, and the ACT is like any test. Prep and studying will help out. I think you need to reevaluate yourself and get off your high horse. All he needs to do is study for a good month and take practice test. Not everyone can get a 32 first time. The nation average is a 21 for a reason.
  • ollegerolleger Posts: 1,567Registered User Senior Member
    ^ There is also a reason that ACT scores cap out eventually. No need to get worked up. I said I dont know him and everything I said could be false, I was only stating that with those scores the schools he wants to go to would not be a possibility at all.

He never said that he didn't study for the ACT as well... You and I both know that with the scores he has now, there is no chance for acceptance. Honesty may sound harsh at times. You sister was even on the low end of the spectrum, so don't expect everyone with those stats to get in.
  • chinaman2011chinaman2011 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    a 22 is really good score its just not the greatest, act isnt everything! a 3.8 does mean something olleger so dont listen to olleger but anyways i would say if u got the money to get into these schools there is a chance you can get in plus many great schools take almost anybody!
  • chinaman2011chinaman2011 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I got a 22 also and i got into Stanford University and am now majoring in business so i wouldnt worry, my grades were top notch and had plenty of community things and what not
  • James1GJames1G Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    ^^ ****

You didn't get into stanford with a 22

I am an idiot and I got a 24 on the ACT first try
  • billabongsurfbillabongsurf Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    You can't get into any of those schools with a 22. I suggest taking an SAT diag and compare the scores. You can get a free test from collegeboard.com
    Also, I suggest a good SAT or ACT tutor will help tremendously. Don't use princeton review though.
  • SweetyBunnySweetyBunny Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    billa is right, do not use the princeton review.

there is no point of asking people here what your chances are because the most you'll get are negative answers plus anyone online can lie like they got this high on the act. Lol
  • BlueDemonBoboBlueDemonBobo Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    I went from a 21 to a 29. My advice is to take as many practice tests as you possibly can.