Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why is the ACT so much harder than the SAT's?

ch920425ch920425 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2011 in ACT Preparation
I have 700/800/800 on the SAT's superscored (from January and March this year).

I just went to take the ACT today because my counselor told me to try it out.

I felt that the time given was too short for all sections except math. By the time I got to science part, I lost all the motivation and was not able to do half the science questions.

I've had the same amount of prep for both the SAT's and the ACT. I just simply did a couple of practice tests for both tests. However, the ACT felt like it was so much harder because of the amount of time they gave me to do each section. (Read 4 passages and answer 40 questions in 35 minutes? Come on...)

Is it just me, or do other people feel that the SAT's are so much easier than the ACT? I'm expecting like a 20 on the ACT. Should I even bother studying and taking it again in June, or should I just forget about it and stick with my SAT score?

The whole test just made me feel so terrible today...
Post edited by ch920425 on

Replies to: Why is the ACT so much harder than the SAT's?

• UVAorBustUVAorBust Posts: 2,504Registered User Senior Member
    I completly disagree... I got a 1820 first try SAT and am currently aiming for a 30+ my first try act... its easier by far but is all preferance tbh
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    I think most people usually feel like the ACT is much more straightforward and therefore easier.
  • LingerLinger Posts: 1,047Registered User Senior Member
    Yes you should definietly just stick with your SAT score. I also completely agree that the SAT is easier (at least for me). Although as I've heard countless times that most people think that the Act is the easier one. I guess we all have our strengths.
  • dukelover87dukelover87 Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    I think the ACT is MUCH easier especially because it doesn't test impossible vocab words that you'd never use in daily conversation.
  • ch920425ch920425 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know... I thought it was easy.. but I just felt that there wasn't enough time...
    Everyone told me that ACT was so much easier than the SAT's, so I walked in thinking that I'd get a 36 and.. failed.
  • ollegerolleger Posts: 1,567Registered User Member
    ^ the ACT is more straightforward and doesn't test as hard of material as the SAT tests (except ACT math has more material than SAT).

You were simply being nieve. a 36 is only obtained by around 600 people PER YEAR of over 1.5 MILLION people taking it. Next time try studying for it a little and I'm sure you will do fine.
    ^ Are you serious? How many people get 2400's in a year?
  • WiscoKidWiscoKid Posts: 422Registered User Member
    ACT is knowledge based, SAT is reasoning based. Different people think different tests are easier, based on what they are good on
    ^^ about 200 get a 2400 per year.

... dont know if you are being sarcastic..
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    Around 300 or so people score a 2400 on the SAT each year out of 1.5 million takers.
  • cornetking222cornetking222 Posts: 994Registered User Member
    ^And a good 15% of them are on this forum.
  • sciencefrenchiesciencefrenchie Posts: 646Registered User Member
    On the contrary, I think the ACT is much, MUCH easier than the SAT. My ACT in Feb was 35 composite. My SAT in October was 2150. I think there's like a 200 point difference there...
  • RAlec114RAlec114 Posts: 2,644- Senior Member
    ACT is better for me. Depends on who you are
    ^^^ Pretty sure more than 15%. For the SAT in January we had 40% or so of the 2400 post on CC.