Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AU Class of 2017 Regular Decision

iAmMarciAmMarc Posts: 75- Junior Member
edited March 2013 in American University
So I've started an official RD applicant thread, because I only know of the ED thread existing. Post any information here that pertains to RD updates!

Also, does anybody happen to know how in the world we're going to know if they've even received our applications or not?
Post edited by iAmMarc on

Replies to: AU Class of 2017 Regular Decision

• centrellag13centrellag13 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    iAmMarc... We definitely applied to the same school! Just saw you on the Fordham thread.
  • centrellag13centrellag13 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Although, I think they sent out an email with your AU Id
  • spinninjaspinninja Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    iamMarc, you should call the admissions office and ask them if they have all of your materials. no need to guess. just ask!
  • Kat2013Kat2013 Posts: 188Registered User Junior Member
    We emailed with our rep to verify they had received everything. Now the wait.....................
  • NYexecedNYexeced Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    I am applying ED II do any of you know when they start reviewing applications? Is it after the deadline or do they start before?
  • mmmgirlmmmgirl Posts: 933Registered User Member
    Hi everyone! I'm applying to American RD. Maybe you guys could help me out? I remember reading in an AU viewbook a while ago about some kind of campaign management class or workshop or something but I don't remember what it's called so I can't look it up. It sounded really cool and I wanted to use it in my supplement essay.
  • iamsirjoshuaiamsirjoshua Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
    mmmgirl, are you thinking of the Campaign Management Institute?

Campaign Management Institute
  • mmmgirlmmmgirl Posts: 933Registered User Member
    Thank you!
  • NYexecedNYexeced Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    Are our application statuses suppose to change? Mine still says everything has been received but nothing about it being reviewed.
  • beccarosenbeccarosen Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    What do you think my chances of getting in/getting merit-based aid are?
    ACT: 34
    GPA: 3.98
    EC: 300+ hours of my own community service group
  • DeskPotatoDeskPotato Posts: 1,329Registered User Senior Member
    You can work out your chances of admission yourself.
    Take a look at Table 15 in this link
    http://www.american.edu/provost/oira/upload/ADRB-Fall-12_Draft.pdf

This will give you an idea of where you fall in the applicant pool. I think you probably already know that your chances of admissions are excellent, assuming that you did not fail to show American that you are sincerely interested in attending. Convert your ACT score to a CR+M score using a concordance table in order to facilitate comparisons that use SAT scores.
    http://www.act.org/aap/concordance/pdf/reference.pdf

Regarding merit awards, an admissions officer advised, a couple of years back, that
    As to "qualifications" for awarding, those can vary from year to year as the competitiveness of the cohort changes, but generally speaking students should be a few strong ticks above our admissions academic averages (GPA 3.83 school reported, ACT C 30, SAT CR & M 1300)

To be "a few strong ticks above," you'd probably want to be in the top quarter, above the top end of the "middle 50%." Here's the middle 50% on the current website:

Admitted Student Profile for Fall 2012

GPA Middle 50%: 3.57—4.04 (school reported)
    SAT Middle 50%: 1210—1380 (critical reading and mathematics)
    ACT Middle 50%: 27—31

Assuming your 3.98 is unweighted, you are likely a good candidate for a merit scholarship.
  • pushfwd2013pushfwd2013 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Did any of the RD applicants get an email yesterday asking to confirm the major they selected on the common app? I got the email yesterday afternoon asking me to confirm arts and sciences and a link to a form that I should update my contact info and major
    My son got it too.
  • Demom2Demom2 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    DS received it too...a little worried :(
    @ Demom2 - why would that worry you? I would think if they weren't interested they wouldn't ask.