Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Transfer VS. First Year Student

catnamedzanecatnamedzane Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2005 in Amherst College
Should I apply as a transfer student or a first year student?

Now I know this sounds like a stupid question because logic would say, well, you should know something like that. (Or call Amherst yourself -- which I plan on doing Monday, but I thought I'd ask around today.)

I've taken college courses at a community college since my sophomore year of high school. I don't think I was considered a "full time" college student at that time since I took morning classes at my high school and afternoon classes at the CC. I earned 43 college credit hours by the end of my senior year and had a 3.79 GPA.

I had planned on attending an LAC or a university starting Fall 2005 but things changed. Instead at the last minute I enrolled in an acting class and a singing class because...well...I needed something to do and I thought this would be a good time to explore areas that I will probably not be studying when I go to a 4-year school. These two classes brings my total college credit hours to 48.

Amherst's site says that to be considered a transfer student, you must have been a full-time college student for at least one year. I'm not sure what I'm asking, really, since I'm pretty much answering my own question -- but...am I a transfer student?
Post edited by catnamedzane on

Replies to: Transfer VS. First Year Student

• evitajr1evitajr1 Posts: 943Registered User Member
    D is a freshman there now. I doubt if you are a transfer student. Check with Amherst on Monday and also ask this question: Will any of my college hours transfer? Amherst does not accept AP credits except for placement reference and even then reluctantly. From what I understand, they prefer you take your classes there, so they are at their level. And believe me, their level of education is very intense.
  • catnamedzanecatnamedzane Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not very worried about my previous classes transferring since I've pretty much accepted the fact that most, if not all, of the colleges I want to attend will not accept the credit. I just want to know which forms I should be filling out. :)

Thanks!
  • pinkearmufspinkearmufs Posts: 915Registered User Member
    is amherst need blind for transfers? and, do they meet 100% need? thanks.