Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how to find maximum speed???

sonic pwrsonic pwr Posts: 769Registered User Member
edited December 2005 in AP Tests Preparation
a particle moves on the x-axis in such a way that its position at time t is given by x=(2t-1)((t-1)^2)

i know that speed is absolute value of velocity and when velocity is 0 t= 2/3 and 1

so during the interval (2/3 , 1) when is the speed at a maximum??
Post edited by sonic pwr on

Replies to: how to find maximum speed???

• aspariguyaspariguy Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    well you have the equation x=(2t-1)((t-1)^2)... so take the derivative of that to find eq for speed... first d second plus second d first...
    v(t) = (2t - 1)(2t - 2) + ((t - 1)^2)(2)
    v(t) = (4t^2 - 6t + 2) + (2t^2 - 4t +2)
    v(t) = 6t^2 -10t +4

so then to find where speed is greatest, find the critical numbers (where deriv is 0 or undef). and i know i'm working with the velocity eq... so we'll count min's as well as max's to find "max speed"

v'(t) = 12t - 10
    0 = 12t - 10
    t = 5/6

so plug in 5/6 to velocity

v(5/6) = 6*(5/6)^2 - 10(5/6) - 4
    ..........= 25/6 - 50/6 + 24/6
    ..........= -1/6
    take absolute value, and the max speed is 1/6 units/sec

i guess you didn't need to know what the max speed was, but i did it anyway. but the t value for the max is 5/6.

-will
  • sonic pwrsonic pwr Posts: 769Registered User Member
    also just to make sure, on what interval is the particle moving to the left? i got (2/3,1) is that right?
  • BCCBCC Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    Is that an open or closed interval? If it's a close interval you must check the endpoints for speed.
    abs(v(2/3)) = abs(v(1)) < abs(v(5/6))
    K, answer for max speed still occurs at time = 5/6

The particle moves to the left when velocity is negative, so the entire interval, yes.
    entire interval meaning [2/3,1] or (2/3,1)
    Actually, we use [2/3,1] to mean 2/3<=t<=1 and (2/3,1) to mean 2/3<t<1

So, you see, with the first notation you actually have extremas at the endpoints. Hence why you needed to check if speed was greatest there.
  • aspariguyaspariguy Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    you don't need to check the endpoints in this one because he said straight out that the speed at the endpoints IS zero.
    Ouch, totally missed that. =(
    But c'mon, who is never been guilty of not reading a question completely? =P
    so is it [2/3,1] or (2/3,1)? which one is it? the question was asking, during what interval of time is the particle moving to the left?
    At t = 2/3 and t = 1, since velocity is zero, you are in the process of changing directions (you are not moving to the left).
    So you move to the left at 2/3<t<1 or (2/3,1).