Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How many kids actually get National AP Scholar?

Replies to: How many kids actually get National AP Scholar?

• daoshidaoshi Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    The 2008 stats is listed below, these awards don't carry much weight anymore due to the LOW standard. No one with average <4 should be considered any awards. For Distinction or National, anything less than perfect score should not be considered. On top of that, National Scholar should have >=10 APs, and Distinction should have >=8 APs.

* AP Scholar: 144,463
    * AP Scholar with Honor: 60,332
    * AP Scholar with Distinction: 83,508
    * State AP Scholar: 106
    * National AP Scholar: 11,686
  • ttyl8ttyl8 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    I totally agree with Bostonhotti3

AP awards are by all means still impressive. Considering the self-selective nature of taking AP exams, it's not that easy getting one of those awards. Honestly, one could easily kill 500+ hours going for AP honours, so the time spent would be way more than the time spent on any one EC. And AP's are something that not everyone can handle; it's sort of like how not everyone be a athlete.

I see AP awards as a bonus/motivator, not something for admissions/resumes/scholarships, and not something I'll toil through years studying for. Learning is supposed to be fun, not something to dread about. For example, it's not worth it to practice piano thousands of hours just because you want to be a famous pianist for the prestige, but if you like playing piano anyways, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

As for whether self-studies should replace EC's/ recs (btw, I don't see how self-studies could be detrimental to recs, unless your teacher is a super duper hard marker and it'll make him/her look bad if you self-study for an AP and get a good mark when you're getting low marks in his/her class), I personally believe in doing whichever you like. If you like learning stuff, then by all means, go self-study the AP's. However, I don't think you should be doing a bunch of EC's instead of studying for those AP's (which you actually like to do) because that's just totally illogical. There's more to life than getting into a top college.

Honestly, I haven't even heard about AP's until I was in Grade 10 (though I'm Canadian). ???!!! Doesn't that give me a huge disadvantage? And I know a lot of other smart Gr. 12's (not to mention university people) who still don't even know what AP's are until I started a conversation with them. But they're still smart, right?

I think it would be interesting if CB introduces awards that are not cumulative, like a special distinction awarded to people who takes x number of AP's all in one year.
  • IBfootballerIBfootballer Registered User Posts: 2,250 Senior Member
    um, getting National AP scholar as a junior is a big deal.

there just aren't that many people who get it by then.

yes, there are schools which don't let students take APs until a certain point or limit the number of APs. But students from those schools are viewed in that context. If their school offers them only a few APs and they only take those few APs, they're pursuing the most rigourous courseload they can. If you're in a school that offers dozens of APs and only take a few, you're going to look a lot less favourable than a student in the previous example
  • goodluck1goodluck1 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    Yes, I officially got the award(national ap scholar) from college board. I am one of the 11 students in South Carolina who got national ap scholar by the end of junior year in 2009. I hope, it has some value.
  • nluu0929nluu0929 Registered User Posts: 302 Junior Member
    Hmm...Only 11 students got National AP Scholar in South Carolina? I'm one of 7 students at my SC school that got National AP Scholar at the end of our junior years. Hmm...
  • xAAAxxAAAx Registered User Posts: 1,465 Senior Member
    does AP calculus AB really not count for National AP scholar? or is it just the subscore...?
  • ttyl8ttyl8 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    AP calculus AB counts for National AP scholar... it's just the AB subscore for BC doesn't count as a separate score
  • advanced Lawlzadvanced Lawlz - Posts: 679 Junior Member
    um i was one of 2 people to get ap scholar with distinction in 9th grade in my state.
    am i gonna put that on my app? hell no.
  • bobtheboybobtheboy Registered User Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    did any freshmen get it? The link doesn't work...
  • FBItomboy007FBItomboy007 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    I have to say that I agree with many of the above posters that, while these awards are impressive, they have to be taken in context. For example, the public high school near me offer a myriad of APs and allow students to take them as the student sees fit, while my private school does not allow any APs until junior year, does not allow for self-study, and only allows students to take six classes a year. Therefore, such an award is impossible. I would also like to add that our classes are infanetly harder than the public school classes. This is not meant to discredit the award, but to give some perspective, as my schools sends many students to Ivy's, but no one can achieve this award as a junior.
  • HIGHreachNoobHIGHreachNoob Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    They should have a separate award for self-studiers, haha. I'll have self-studied al 8 of my AP's by the end of junior year, and I guarantee I worked harder than people who took the classes.
  • TheBasedGodTheBasedGod Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I'm going to be taking 8 AP courses next year (senior year) before putting myself through living hell is it really worth it for college to get these awards senior year?
  • mathinokcmathinokc Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    You don't get the award until the fall (~October) after the May test. So, for college admissions the award won't help.

What may help
    * If taking 8 AP courses means your guidance counselor says (on the college app) that you're taking the most difficult course load
    * If you do well on those exams and the university you're going to grants credit for AP exams, you could end up with a good bit of credit.
  • Robodl95Robodl95 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    Yeah it depends on the context of the school, at my school probably 10-20% of kids have taken 4-5+ APs by the end of Junior year. I'll be a scholar by Junior year no problem (1 in 9th, 2 in 10th, 5 in 11th and probably 3 APs + 1 IB in 12th) taking 8 APs in one year is way different then it being spread out over 3.
  • walt415walt415 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi,

Sorry, it still is not clear to me whether being an AP Scholar is important on a college application, in 2011.

How important are AP classes in general for getting into elite colleges?

Can someone tell me whether it is worth taking AP classes in sophomore or junior year of high school, with the goal of becoming an AP scholar?

Best regards,
    Walt
This discussion has been closed.