Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP Calculus AB 2008

HurtHurt Posts: 421Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2008 in AP Tests Preparation
(since we don't have a thread)
Thoughts?

I only studied the FRQ's and chapter-by-chapter review we had in class. Besides that.. I worked through 20 FRQ's or so the night before the test and slept early. (the only AP I slept early for) I feel like I got owned on the MC. I had no time to check non-calc. on calc, there were derivatives and integrals i couldn't do (should figure those out for bc).. I didn't do one of the FRQ's. Everything else I think was right, besides the one in non-calc that ended with the section that asked you to evaluate the limit from the second part. I got the second part wrong by a little.. so.. >_>.. meh.

I did get a 5 though. :D I'm happy.
Post edited by Hurt on

Replies to: AP Calculus AB 2008

• smart.cookiesmart.cookie Posts: 1,468Registered User Senior Member
    I thought the test was actually surprisingly easy compared to several example tests we took in class. I answered all the MC questions (with confidence) and the FRGs weren't too bad (although I have yet to receive my score, curse you CB).
  • FreestylaFreestyla Posts: 367Registered User Member
    I'm a slacker by nature and I pretty much cruised through the entire year since my teacher never checked homework. My grades were mid 80's, low 90's in class and my teacher thought I'd probably get either a high 3 or low 4 based on my final exam.

My college only gives credit for AP scores of 4 or 5 so I was praying for a 4...

You can imagine how surprised I was when I heard over the phone that I got a 5!!!!!

I thought I rocked the MC, but I felt like it was too easy so I thought I made silly errors. I thought I bombed the FR. I guess it all worked out in the end!
  • theceotheceo Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    I actually thought the opposite, that the MC was super hard and the FR no problems, although I got all sorts of weird stuff on the differential equation one. But I was really worried about the MC, yet I got a 5. The curve must be super nice this year.
  • blackberryblackberry Posts: 533Registered User Member
    The MC was pretty easy, but I was really worried since I got like 6 B's in a row. The FRQs were really hard. I skipped about 3 sections, and I got the wrong answer for some of them... After getting 630 on the Math II subject test in May, I thought I was going to get a 3 or lower for sure.

But I ended up getting a 5 (yet I still struggle with limits!). (:
  • Stella14Stella14 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    My teacher is dedicated, so she had 8 hour review sessions for a few days before the exam. I hated it then, but it paid off!

I thought the MC was easy, but I skipped or didn't get an answer for 3 or 4 FRQs. For one I just put an integral!

I got a 5.
  • southpawsdsouthpawsd Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    This year's Calc AB Exam was overall pretty easy. My teacher told us after the test that she thought it was a lot easier than last year and that the curve would be lower. I thought the multiple choice couldn't have been easier, but the free response was a bit difficult. My teacher prepared us very well with about 2 months of review and I got a 5.
  • tingsquaredtingsquared Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    ^ Same here. Amazing teacher! We reviewed 1 or 2 month before the actual test. I didn't really study for this test, crammed for US History until 2 though.

I felt really good knowing that around 60% was a 5. I'm happy with my 5, want a 5 next year on BC though. The MC was okay, my class practiced a ton for the FRQ though, so I did well on that.

Oh, and I've always wondered, how can people cram for math the night before? I mean if you didn't get calculus all year, how are you suppose to see the light the night before the test?
  • HansTARHansTAR Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    so our calc class started with a robust 14 students. Bets were placed as to who would be the first to drop. Eventually that person dropped first. At semesters end we had another 3 students peter out. 2 weeks into the sedond semester saw 2 more students bow out, while at the same time gaining a transfer from another school. The final student to leave (as well as the final girl) left after getting caught shoplifting and getting expelled. Out of 8 students, only 3 had enough balls to actually take the exam.

I got a 2 on a practice test we took. I didnt know how to do differential equations very good. My teacher only graded homework on completion. I easily confused the Volume disk/shell methods with each other. I never learned how to properly use my TI83 calc program. My calcmate studies 3 hhrs the night before while i studied 20 min.i couldnt for the life of me get problems that asked you to find the slope of the cmposite of g of f of x and such and if h of f of x is f of g, etc.

Yet I got a 5. =)
  • MASTER MENACEMASTER MENACE Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    I got a 5.

MC was a walk in the park, but the 1st FR problem, the last question I bombed completely.
  • faithinhimfaithinhim Posts: 132Registered User Junior Member
    I (by a miracle) got a 5. I didn't feel adequately prepared. I loved the MC. But, I figured I'd fell for a bunch of traps since it seemed so easy. FRQ was so-so...half-easy...half-hard...
  • An0malyAn0maly Posts: 2,686Super Moderator Senior Member
    FRQ was very different, and probably more challenging. The MC was extremely simple.

I got a 5.
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er Posts: 2,303Registered User Senior Member
    lol @ HanSTAR
    really just LOL.
    well my experience is quite similar to everyone else's .
    i was a junior, wasn't expecting to take calc this yr, had precal+stats planned out,but calc was in my schedule. i didn't back down, i stayed in the class.
    first few days of calc was like greek T T
    throughout the year i slacked off; i did portions of the hw my teacher assigned, most of the time i was lost. but i started to pick up the deeper concepts that others don't realize.
    im really adept with my calc lol. i know the integrals,derivatives thing on my ti 83, but i never thought of getting a high grade.
    till late march, our class started to prep, some frqs at a time. when i got home, i did collegeboard's past frqs, 12 frqs per yr, over an expand of 8 ? 7? years, i did almost 100ish frqs.
    patterns emerged, i feel so confident with the frq.
    then before the ap exam, we took a practice test, the MC was a breeze, frq(though i did all of them prior to the test) is not too hard too,even if i had never seen the questions before =p, i got a 5 on the practice
    so a month of prep, im confident. i took the exam, MC was easy lol. frq, on other hand, was T T. it's slightly diff from the ones i studied in past frqs, i bombed the limit part, other than that,i did okay, some stupid mistakes along the way, but w/e lol
    right after the test, i feel i got a high 4 or a low 5, meaning im on the brink of 4 and 5 lol.

score came in
    Calculus AB 5
    i laughed for 10 mins LOL.
    im the only junior in my class(16ish students), so far im the only 5, there are like four 4's i know, some 3's. so proud =]
    =]]]

on a side note: i never really understood how the shell's method thingy works, the revolution one. i never used the U-substitution,it's so unsmart.i used my own unique way lol.
  • CatchAFallinStarCatchAFallinStar Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    The MCs were ridiculously easy. I answered all of the MCs with 5-10 min to spare. The FRQs, on the other hand, were REALLY HARD LOL. I didn't understand how to do the calculator portion until AFTER I finished the non-calculator portion. Fortunately I had enough time to finish the calculator portion DURING the non-calculator portion (yes, without the calculator)

Anyway I left the exam feeling not so happy about it, because my math work was all over the place and there were soo many scribbles that I can barely follow my work. Gosh, at that point I was hoping for at least a 4, but hey I end up getting a 5 LOL.
  • An0malyAn0maly Posts: 2,686Super Moderator Senior Member
    @ Ren the SAT'er - shells is kinda complicated to explain through text, but you didn't need to know it for any problem on the ap exam.
  • MASTER MENACEMASTER MENACE Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    I had an incredible calc teacher. Prepared full 2 full 20+ classes this past year (including me haha) and I got a 5.

I breezed through the MC with confidence and I THOUGHT I bombed the FR.

Ima destroy Calc BC.