Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Throwing Up Breakfast Before the AP Exam

wolfpackmomwolfpackmom Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
I have a kid scheduled to take 3 AP exams in the next few days. She has this problem of throwing up before any big test, so I suspect she will do the same for the AP's. Do any of you guys have this problem? How do you deal with it?

As of now, the only solution we have is to let her suck on peppermints, which helps with throwing up. But I have the feeling that she will get really hungry if she doesn't get something to eat for 3 1/2 hours.
Post edited by wolfpackmom on

Replies to: Throwing Up Breakfast Before the AP Exam

• DemiitasseDemiitasse Posts: 733Registered User Member
    Vomiting can be prevented by drinking small amounts of clear,
    sweetened liquids such as soda pop, fruit juices (except orange and grapefruit because these are too acidic) and popsicles. Drinks containing sugar calm the stomach better than other liquids.

Liquids will also fill her tummy so she'll feel full instead of hungry.
    Since peppermint helps, mint tea will also be a great option for calming her down.

You can also get tablets from the doctors next time.

Good luck!

I guess it's nerves that's causing this? I've never heard or seen of any case as severe as this before! Maybe you should have her exercise pushing her nerves a little bit; ask her to join theatre or an activity like that where she'll need to combat her fears. I'm not sure.
  • AlliXAlliX Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    I've actually never had this problem happen to me until this morning. Usually I get very hungry during long tests, so I ate a big breakfast (although it wasn't much more than what I usually have.) I felt fine until I got to my testing area, where I began to feel nausea and I had to rush to the bathroom. I really thought I was going to throw up, and was so close to doing so, but it actually didn't end up happening. I ended up waiting there a couple of minutes and then had to go back to the room. So I know the feeling. :/

All the advice I can give is that she should definitely bring snacks with her, just in case she does end up throwing up so that she will have food with her. Have her bring something that she can quickly eat during the break (five minutes or less.) And tell her good luck!
  • pink33837pink33837 Posts: 181Registered User Junior Member
    I threw up the morning of my SAT exam, right before I left my house and it was a total nightmare. I had a healthy breakfast and when I asked my doctor why that happened he said I just get nervous and should suck on a lemon when ever I fell nausa. Maybe it will work for your daughter....