Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Good resources for my AP's?

WannaBYalieWannaBYalie Posts: 307Registered User Member
edited December 2009 in AP Tests Preparation
So I have finally compiled a list of resources to buy for my AP's, and was wondering if I found the best materials. These are all independent study, btw:

AP Euro:
-Modern European History (Viault)
-Princeton Review
-A History of Western Society: Since 1300 (mcKay and others): is this the right book and edition?

AP World:
-World Civilizations: The Global Experience (World Civilizations Vol. 1, Stearns): Is this the right volume or do I need volume 2? Will this book get me a 5?

-Princeton Review

AP Art History:
-The Annotated Mona Lisa
-Gardner's Art Through The Ages
-REA (2nd edition)?

AP Comparative Gov:
-the Ethel Woods book (4th edition-the latest one)
-Introduction to Comparative Government and Politics (Kesselman)

AP Macro and Micro Economics:
-So far only the Princeton Review book, any other suggestions? Like a textbook?

Thanks! And if you have other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it :)

Also: Is there anything out there to self-study AP English Lit? Like a textbook or a good review book? I haven't really seen much.

Thanks!
Post edited by WannaBYalie on

Replies to: Good resources for my AP's?

• FallenAngel9FallenAngel9 Posts: 2,429Registered User Senior Member
    I can't help you with the others, but for AP Euro you made a great choice with McKay. We used that textbook in my class and it was essentially the basis of studies for the subject. McKay (+ Barron's at the end) got me a 5 on the exam.

So I can tell you that you have chosen some good resources for AP Euro. Sorry I can't help with the others, though.
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Posts: 2,741Registered User Senior Member
    you're set. Well for world history, you need volume 2 since volume 1 will only cover half of the apwh material.
  • WannaBYalieWannaBYalie Posts: 307Registered User Member
    @Jerrry: So the text is fine, but I need both volumes? That's a ton of pages :P Anything I can skip?

@FallenAngel9: Okay, thanks! So this is the right edition and book? I know there are a lot out there, so I want to make sure I got the right one.

Thanks!
  • scrivenerscrivener Posts: 797Registered User Member
    What's the best prep book for AP Euro???? Barrons? PR? I already have modern european history...
  • thatguyinclassthatguyinclass Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    definitely use 5 steps to a 5 for the Economics. Don't give it any second thought, just buy it!
  • bumblebumble Posts: 700Registered User Member
    100% agree with thatguyinclass =] i love that book, helped me ace every test we've had so far.
  • nightvisitornightvisitor Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    AP World is a pretty easy test content wise imo, DBQ's were the only thing i had trouble with. I never studied for the test or ever took notes in class and just read through assigned chapters in our book and ended up with a 5. I think just reading chapter summaries (Stearns textbook) will be enough to get you a 5. They can be accessed online at Student Resources
    Thanks everyone :)

And Nightvisitor, what chapter in Stearns did you go to? That link was super helpful, and I plan on printing out all of the summaries, but I also ordered the textbook. Do I need to read all 36 chapters for the test?
  • jerrry4445jerrry4445 Posts: 2,741Registered User Senior Member
    You have to read all the chapters. I know it's about 1000 pages, but a bunch of APWH students have to go through with that, unless they go by study guides. Hope you do well on the APWH exam.
    Thanks, jerrry4445, and I assume you are referring to the AP edition? Cuz there are like 50 different texts from Stearns and searching through them all is really annoying (I don't want to spend _too_ much). I could get volume one and two for like $10, but I don't want to read two whole volumes. Maybe I'll try abe books and see what I can find.