Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP Physics B vs. AP Chemistry: Which one is easier?

jerrry4445jerrry4445 Posts: 2,741Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2010 in AP Tests Preparation
To me, AP Chemistry is easier because the concepts are easy to understand they're direct. AP Physics B - it is difficult. Concepts I sometimes don't understand. Even when reading the textbook and I got to the Concept questions (using Cutnell), I have trouble figuring them out. I have to think over and over. I just hope I understand Physics B concepts enough to get an A in the class and a 5 on the AP exam.
Post edited by jerrry4445 on

Replies to: AP Physics B vs. AP Chemistry: Which one is easier?

• jk511jk511 Posts: 181Registered User Junior Member
    To the OP, it really depends on your preference and strengths. For you chem might be easier than physics, for others it's the other way around. I would guess that you would be more successful on the chem test assuming you have a easier time understanding chemistry concepts. Hope that helps!
  • lemonelemone Posts: 976- Member
    AP Chemistry for me right now. If I were to self-study, I probably think Physics is easier.
  • EquilibriumEquilibrium Posts: 1,213Registered User Senior Member
    To me, they're around the same in difficulty
  • manu101manu101 Posts: 592Registered User Member
    I hate AP Physics B. I'm taking it this year and the concepts and problem solving are driving me nuts. I have an A in the class but the info is not sticking at all. I seriously think the AP exam is going to be torture.

Can't wait till I'm done with it!

Now I have to decide whether to take AP chem or AP bio. hmm...
  • yodastreetyodastreet Posts: 428Registered User Member
    The mechanics section of Physics B is okay. Electricity and later parts are what get people conceptually. My teacher says AP chemistry would be a lot more rigorous to someone who had no background in either chem or physics.
  • thepotatothepotato Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    talk to students who took it at you school b/c it largely depends on the difficulty of your teachers.

btw, you don't need an intro physics class for physics B, while you need and intro chem for ap chemistry
  • zala2022zala2022 Posts: 633Registered User Member
    physics b for sure (it would be a different if we are taking about c, but b is extremely easy. a lot of topics are covered, but the depth is close to none)
  • neil30zneil30z Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    I'd say AP Physics B, because chem as too much information, as opposed to phys, where you need to know certain concepts of physics, and know how to apply them using math (which im pretty good at).