Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ASU Dorms

KingJames23KingJames23 Posts: 671Registered User Member
edited August 2011 in Arizona State University
Does anyone have suggestion as to what are the best ASU dorms for non honors-college students? Thanks.
Post edited by KingJames23 on

Replies to: ASU Dorms

• MotherMooMotherMoo Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    The dorm selection depends on your interests. If you want to be with people with similar interests then ASU has living communities, or if you want to be in and all freshman dorm, or coed by room or men/women floor etc. I hear Palo Verde is all freshman but very loud dorm. I am a parent and I have not lived there. My son lives in one of the Honors dorm, so I can't tell you much about the other dorms. You may want to consider location, where your most of your classes are going to be, and if the dorm has a cafeteria and their hours of operation.

Mariposa is a Freshman Year Experience and Healthy Living Community, is an alcohol and tobacco-free environment.

Manzanita is all freshman Smoke-free, and houses the College of Education Residential Community, Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering Residential Community and W. P. Carey School of Business Residential Community

McClintock is coed by suite, a Freshman Year Experience Hall housing Fine Arts, Public Programs and Athena communities only.

Palo Verde (3 buildings) a Freshman Year Experience residential community. Only freshman students live in these buildings.
  • cathymeecathymee Posts: 2,384Registered User Senior Member
    Location is important! Theres a distinct lack of dining services on the southside,and the northside,where Manzy,the Palo Verde's and the new San Pablo are have better access.Also puts you much closer to Mill avenue, the local strip of shops,bars and restaurants.The middle of the campus where all the academics are house only Honors and McClintock.The only food option here(closeby) is the Memorial Union or an outdoor cafe in the Honors complex.They are building new housing which will have food service (McAllister) but its not done yet.
  • GTAplayerGTAplayer Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Hmm how are the rooms in Mariposa Hall? Is it possible to get a single room there?
    Sorry,didnt see this earlier.Mariposa is an old dorm..former motel looking.You can get singles, I think,unless you are a freshman.It faces a pretty busy street,Apache.Its been the "wellness" dorm in past years.
    Have you taken a tour of ASU yet? If not take a look at a campus map to make sure the location on the "southside" is okay.
  • GTAplayerGTAplayer Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Yes I have taken tours, but I've never ventured into that area before. I was just wondering how the rooms compare to the other dorms.
  • MotherMooMotherMoo Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    Here is a thread about ASU dorms
  • asuboundasubound Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    My son got accepted and got assigned to Cholla (1 bedrm). Anyone know anything about Cholla??? I know it's a bit of a walk to any dining area. Is it ok for a freshman?
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,160Registered User Senior Member
    What honors dorm does anyone know about? I'm encouraging my son to keep an open mind about ASU, as it's a very attractive option, especially financially.
  • asumomasumom Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    My daughter lives in a single at Cholla she likes it. It is a little further then some of the other dorms but she rides a bike to most of her classes, and to the grocery store. The dorm itself has block walls, her good friend is a musician and plays his clarinet without any complaints from the neighbors. She also likes having a full size refrigerator and a stove to cook on. But like any dorm there are parties there too. Her first night there the police came and arrested some kids on her floor. So a few weeks later everyone on her floor had to go to class about drinking. But I don't think it matters too much almost all the dorms will have this problem. Unless you live in the healthy living community.
    asubound
    Cholla is now an all freshman dorm
    They have refrigerators and stoves,thus they won't have to buy the new mandatory meal plan.Its far to classes/dining but no further than the south side dorms.
    oh and I forgot...it has a swimming pool!
  • asuboundasubound Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    asumom/cathymee,

Thanks for your replies! Very Helpful info!!
  • asumomasumom Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    My daughter is a sophomore and she lives at Cholla. They are not all freshmen this year she could of signed up for the same room so I am sure they are not all freshmen again next year. They do have the freshemen in different buildings or wings.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,160Registered User Senior Member
    Is Cholla a regular dorm or an honors dorm? It sounds like a nice place to live.