Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I was denied admission into Barrett with these stats

JuB0B0JuB0B0 Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in Arizona State University
3.93 UW GPA
Top 8% class rank (43/504)
29 ACT

Not to mention, I'm an in-state resident. I have already enrolled at DePaul University, but I was a bit surprised at this. I knew someone with less than stellar stats who got in, leaving me befuddled.
Post edited by JuB0B0 on

Replies to: I was denied admission into Barrett with these stats

• gio1126gio1126 Posts: 74Registered User Junior Member
    Im new to this so I dont know if this is possible but maybe they saw you were already enrolled at another college. Also did you have an extra curriculars, did you write a good essay, or take challenging courses
  • JuB0B0JuB0B0 Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    I have taken 9 honors classes, 1 AP course, and no AP exams. That could be why I wasn't admitted, but I believe it was because I didn't apply last year. It makes it that much harder when you apply after the priority deadline. Oh well, it doesn't bother me too much because I have already enrolled into DePaul. I was accepted into their honors college and honors accounting program so I'm happy. Not to mention that DePaul's undergrad business program was ranked 40th in the country by Businessweek, compared to ASU at 77th. Anyhow, good luck to anyone who chooses to attend ASU, namely Barrett.
  • gio1126gio1126 Posts: 74Registered User Junior Member
    Glad everything worked out for you in the end. I'm hoping to apply to Barrett next year so this kinda shocked me but it probably was due to the priority deadline thing. I plan to apply as early as possible. Good luck to you at Depaul.
    Thank you. Good luck to you when applying to Barrett. Make sure you apply before the priority deadline!
  • bunnybuttbunnybutt Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    Don't worry about it! They only enroll about 700 freshman. I just had my orientation this past Saturday and they said our class was about 720 for Barrett. They got about over 2000 applications last year and the Dean of Admissions said they expected more this year. I wouldn't take it hard because they filled up pretty fast and getting more competitive. I am pretty sure you would have made it if you applied early. But it seems you will do great wherever you go! Good luck! :)
    I'm sure applying last year would have helped. To be honest, I had my eyes set on DePaul for a while now. I don't think it ever crossed my mind that I MIGHT go to ASU. In reality, I only applied because I had a waiver on the application fee. I'm sure applying BEFORE even being accepted into ASU didn't help either. I would not be surprised if the admissions board took that as an insult.
  • ConfusedrobotConfusedrobot Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I got denied too.
    32 ACT
    Top 2% of class
    about a dozen Honors/AP classes
    Instate resident
    applied before the priority deadline
    Historical fencing and democracy groups as ECs
    Decent essay, letters of rec.

I am quite frankly unable to figure out why.
  • bchan1bchan1 Posts: 793Registered User Member
    confusedrobot, when did you apply to Barrett?

Historically, we have been told that it is O.K. to send applications before ASU admissions arrive - that they check against admits and review once admission is granted but I suppose there is always room for error in this matching up that could put you in a later pool for consideration.
    I sent it off about a week before the priority deadline. Had already gotten my acceptance letter from ASU.

A thought had occurred to me that such a clerical error could have occurred because I was accepted in as an academic sophomore (I took a lot of college classes in HS).
  • mmmcdowemmmcdowe Posts: 2,347Registered User Senior Member
    Did you do poorly in those college classes?
  • inspiredbymusicinspiredbymusic Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    We toured Barrett yesterday and the person who led the info session said that they got 680 (I'm pretty sure that was the number) applications in the last two weeks of February, when they only had about 100 slots left. She also seemed to indicate that extra-curriculars, and activities that show "leadership" are important.
    inspiredbymusic, yeah I wouldn't doubt that they got that many! I had talked to the Dean of Admissions and he said that they were getting record number applications this year. He figured that it was because all the publicity that Barrett has now because of their new dorms and being named one of the best honors colleges a while back. Also the economy... he said he figured that "people were starting to figure out that they can get the same education attending somewhere like Barrett as Ivy Leagues." Barrett seems to be getting a lot more competitive!
    Nope, I had a 4.0 in my college courses. I guess competition would've been strong, but still...
  • bchan1bchan1 Posts: 793Registered User Member
    I don't know if this will cheer you up or not - but I have known students in the past who got into Barrett but left because the extra honors work conflicted with other things they wanted/needed to do (like work). Didn't seem that this turned out badly for friends daughter - she was accepted to prestigious school for Phd program - full ride w/stipend.

If all these high performing people are being turned down you all make one heck of a strong ASU cohort should you decide to enroll there. You are the kind of students who are successful no matter where they go to school.
    bchan1, I agree with you too. The two who got denied seem very high performing and it doesn't really matter where they go, they will do great!

also, bchan1, so your friend's daughter graduated from Barrett and went to a prestigious grad. school after that? Did she get one of the National Scholarships for grad school?

I am attracted to Barrett because of their help with getting National scholarships for future grad. students. When I went on their tour they said that last year of the 18 who got fullbright scholarships, 12 were Barrett students. I am hoping to build up a nice profile at Barrett so I can *hopefully* attend a prestigious med. school. That's my dream anyway :/