Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• archi92archi92 Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    Yes, awesome post.
    Let's say that a student fails 2 out of 5 APs that he/she was suppose to self-study. Would the college rescind?
    Plus, in the case of UCs system - would the UC rescind if a student gets an F in her quarter grade? Or is it the semester grade that counts?
  • shopaholicx92shopaholicx92 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    archi92- If you mean failing the 2 out of 5 AP tests, that shouldn't matter but if you mean failing 2 of 5 AP classes, that could be a problem and its usually the semester grade that counts, not the quarter grade because, at least at my school, the semester grade is the only thing that goes on the transcript so as long as you can pull out a B or a C for the semester you should be fine.
  • fuzzyfirebunnyfuzzyfirebunny Registered User Posts: 1,365 Senior Member
    I wonder if there's a higher threshhold of "failing" for the more selective colleges? IE, for students who've been accepted to HYPSM with near-perfect GPAs, would a C be viewed in the same way that an F would be for other less selective schools?

Not that I plan to do this... but just curious :P
  • forreal100forreal100 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    a girl at my boarding school was kicked out of boarding school for using illegal drugs and her acceptance from her prestigious university was taken away.
  • NuclearPakistan1NuclearPakistan1 Registered User Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    Yeah I'm basically ending AP Bio and AP BC Calculus with a C. Hopefully it wouldn't put me in hot water.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,720 Senior Member
    There are many, many threads on CC with students worrying about being rescinded. There are very, very few threads with actual examples of students being rescinded. I can't recall seeing one in which I was surprised about a rescission.
  • KiggafoshoKiggafosho Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Hello! I was wondering if suspensions could get your admission revoked because I got suspended today for having 9 tardies in my 1st period. And i'm hoping that it really doesn't affect my admission much..
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,516 Senior Member
    Kiggafosho--Today's suspension probably won't have any impact on your college verdicts, but if it happens again, it might. So you will need to get to school on time for the rest of the year! (Then, when you get to college, maybe you can avoid scheduling morning classes. ;))
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    For UCs, what if the mark reported was slightly different than the mark on the transcript? This happened because our course mark was given by our exam mark, but the transcript was not updated. Would this affect my decision?
  • manchesterunitedmanchesterunited Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    QUESTION!!!!!!!

I am looking at potentially 2 As 2 Bs and 1 C for my final grades in ALL AP classes. Until this year I had never gotten anything besides As all through high school and have taken 2 honors and (including this year) 10 ap classes. WILL I BE RESCINDED?!?!? I am so scared, this is the only college I applied to due to sports* and I do not want to miss out. I simply overloaded myself with ap courses and some are much harder than I expected + the inevitable case of senioritis.

***I was accepted early to stanford for athletics. I did not receive a scholarship though, I turned it down because I could get more money through financial aid.
  • manchesterunitedmanchesterunited Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    ^^^^ oh and this translates to a 3.2 unweighted, 4.2 unweighted GPA
  • letsgo7letsgo7 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    hi!!! i have a question too about rescinding acceptance
    my problem is related to class change. I took AP MACRO, but on the application i put AP MICRO do you think they are gonna revoke me cuz of that?
    I'll appreciate if you answer my question thanksss
  • lindz126lindz126 Registered User Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    a friend's senior d (18yrs) was arrested for having alcohol and marijuana, in her car, just completed a pretrial diversion program and is hoping it will be expunged. (arrest occurred after applications were in) wondering how this may play out--she heard from an attorney that college housing may do background checks, any experience with these type of situations?
  • BalthezarBalthezar Registered User Posts: 1,639 Senior Member
    While I'm telling my son he has to finish strong in HS for the sake of the placement tests he is required to take this summer for fall registration placement, it made me think that even if he does get a bad case of senioritis, but does well on the placements, wouldn't that mitigate the bad grades, if any?