Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• EricLGEricLG Registered User Posts: 645 Member
    ^^
    If your son is competing for a limited spot against students with equal scores but better grades, there is no mitigation. If the competition is students with better grades but worse scores, then ymmv.
  • BalthezarBalthezar Registered User Posts: 1,641 Senior Member
    Heh, just revisited this thread. Sorry for the confusion about placement tests. The tests determine which course you can start with, and there is no inter-student competition, just you and the test. If you do well enough, you can start with Calc 2 or Calc 3 for example being credited for the courses that you 'placed' out of. Same for Chemistry placement.

These placements are important since your AP scores likely won't be received by the university by the time you're registering for your fall courses.

The point is not to slack off your last semester in high school, since it can impact your placement in the curriculum of your degree, even if you don't get the admission decision rescinded.
  • llangleyllangley Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Has anyone an example of an admissions being rescinded because of a bullying report?
  • capnchr0n1ccapnchr0n1c Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    i have been accepted to ucsc and signed my intent to register. but recently i had an altercation at school that was completely blown out of proportion. pretty soon i am going to write the university about this an how it was all bs. will my chances of being rescinded still be high?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,561 Senior Member
    It's hard to predict whether or not your admission will be rescinded without knowing the details of the altercation. However, when explaining it to the UCSC admission staff, make sure that your tone is contrite. (Saying "it was all bs" will not help your cause.) Emphasize what you learned from the episode. It's probably okay to say that it was blown out of proportion, as long as you explain why you feel this way and in a tone that isn't haughty or snide. But admission officials will be evaluating your attitude as much as the episode itself, so you want to be careful about how you present your case.

College admission officers really don't like to rescind acceptances unless they feel it's absolutely necessary, so you have this on your side when you contact them.
  • MomofJandLMomofJandL Registered User Posts: 966 Member
    One thing to note is that even if a college does not revoke your acceptance, they may decide to revoke financial aid. I've heard of several cases of athletic scholarships and merit/grant aid being rescinded because of bad behavior (drug and alcohol use) before enrollment at college.
  • usanicoleusanicole Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi, I'm an international student from Korea. I've been accepted to Penn State University in fall 2010. Like everybody else, I'm little freaked out about this whole "College revoking your admission." I had all A's and one B in AP Calculus class. But after I got accepted, Senioritis hit me. Now I have C in my AP Calculus and rest of them are all A's and B's.
    So here's my question:

Do you think they'll take away my admission?

and also,

Do they care about AP Exam? Like if I got 1 on the AP Calc. exam?
    I know that I won't get credit for it, but would they revoke my admission because of this?

I called penn state yesterday or so, and asked them about it. And they seemed like they didn't know what I was talking about. They told me that AP Exam doesn't effect me and
    unless I don't graduate from high school, they wouldn't revoke it.
    But I don't think she was so sure about the issue. Can anyone help me please?
  • archi92archi92 Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    How about the AP exams? What if a student fails all the AP that he/she have signed up for?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,561 Senior Member
    usanicole--Your Penn State acceptance will not be rescinded due to this downturn in your grades, and your AP exam scores have nothing to do with the admissions process. You will not receive credit for your score but that's it. The same goes for you, archi92--if you have already been admitted to college and you fail your AP tests, your acceptance is not affected.

So try not to worry about this.
    is it even a good idea to write ucsc before they ask for my transcript or should i do it after?
    is it even a good idea to write ucsc before they ask for my transcript or should i do it after?

Have you talked to your school guidance counselor (or any other administrator) about how this is being handled by your high school? Are you sure that the incident is being reported to admission officials and--if so--how is the school explaining the situation?
    all i know is that the expulsion will be recorded on my transcript and i have no idea what the statement will say. i don't think it's being recorded to admission officials at all, but eventually they are going to find out.
    capnchr0n1c--Now you're saying "expulsion." Have you actually left your school permanently or were you just temporarily suspended? If the latter, you should ask your school counselor what will be recorded on your transcript ... simply the fact that you were suspended or the details? Your response will be dependent on what the counselor says (i.e., you may have to write a letter to the admission officials or you may have to do nothing).

If you were expelled, that's a different ... and far more serious .... situation which should be addressed immediately.
  • studentUNCstudentUNC Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm trying to see if this is realistic. I got into UNC yet they sent me (and everyone else) another "community standards form" asking whether i have any charges pending against me. I do in fact have a DWI charge pending that happened between the time of the application and the decision date. (Meaning i was charged with DWI after i submitted my application.) Does anyone know if it's possible to explain and justify a DWI charge before an acceptance gets rescinded? In the explanation should i treat "charges" as if they are, in fact, a "conviction" and be more apologetic or should i be more defensive a la "innocent till proven guilty" and say that this has nothing to do with my character/academic progress? Please help! Thank you.

P.S. The form says if you answer "yes" to any of the above questions regarding criminal charges you're required write an explanation letter. Thinking logically here, that pretty much means that it's possible to justify a criminal charge, otherwise they wouldn't require the explanation letter. Am i right?
    yes i did get expelled, but seriously it was blown out of proportion. i was listening and singing to my ipod apparently it was too loud so the asb clerk sent me to the office when all he had to do was tell me to stop singing or turn it off. at the office he yelled at me to sit down, i retaliated with anger cuz it got me mad how unfair my disciplinary action was and said ".... i guess that lead to my expulsion. what's worst is that i tried to fight this and get reinstated, at the hearing my former ap lied and said i called him a ..... there's a big difference between defying authority and insulting someone.