Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• beaglelovabeaglelova Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    what are the chances that sjsu will rescind for a D in AP environmental science? ive already completed 3 year of science so i meet csu requirements without it but i dont know if the college will care about that or not
  • PurchasePerk30PurchasePerk30 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    "Finally, for those students who are writing now, in early April, with worries about declining grades, note that the college you plan to attend won’t see your transcript until the school year is over. "

What does this mean? If they won't see your final transcript until the end of the school year, wouldn't it be too late if May is the time where people accepted into a school, need to make an official decision? Im in college transferring to another for the fall and they told me they want my official transcript at the end of this semester.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,561 Senior Member
    What does this mean? If they won't see your final transcript until the end of the school year, wouldn't it be too late if May is the time where people accepted into a school, need to make an official decision?

This is exactly why it's critical that students maintain roughly the same GPA (or better) after applying to college that they had before applying. By the time colleges receive a final transcript and decide to rescind an acceptance due to poor grades, it can be too late to pursue other options.

However, in the case of transfers, deadlines can differ. Colleges may even see a final transcript before an initial decision is made. It depends on the colleges involved and their transfer-admission timetables.
    Does that mean, they save spots for those transfer applications who wait till the end of the semester to send in their transcripts, and if they don't get in, they give it to another person who did get in? because on the website, Purchase said "Accepted students have until May 1 or 30 days from their acceptance, whichever is later, to accept their appointment to Purchase College as per the terms of the acceptance letter." its really confusing.....
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,561 Senior Member
    If you have already been admitted to a college as a transfer, you have until whatever date they have given you to accept the offer (in this case, May 1). BUT ... if your grades have gone down significantly since you applied, it is POSSIBLE that admission officials will revoke your acceptance once they see your final transcript. If you are worried that you may be on thin ice, you should still have time to raise your grades this semester.
    Im definately not worried about grades, im just worried that it will get to the end of the semester, and i send in my transcript like they ask, but then they will say "ohh so sorry, all of our spots have been filled up" or "you have waited too long to send in your application, so weve stopped reviewing it and moved on to someone else." im really new to all this, sorry :/
    Have situations like that happened? If they find at the end of the semester, someone has a good transcript, but there is no more room for them in the college? Thats what i mean by "saving spots."
    You should apply right away, if you haven't already, and use the transcript you've gotten up until now (i.e, grades through the first semester of this year). If you have any mid-term grades from this semester, feel free to submit those, too. The college may decide to wait until they've seen your current grades before making a decision, but at least you will have established yourself as an applicant. And, if this school is your first choice, you should tell them so.

At rolling admission colleges, it's certainly possible that highly qualified students are turned away due to applying too late, so get your application in ASAP.
    Yes! I applied at the end of February, and sent in my fall transcripts. Unfortunately, the college i go to does not submit Midterm Grades on the Transcript because the grades change so frequently and if i were to send them now they would not show up on the transcript, just the fall grades. Since Purchase wants Official Grades, they said they will wait at the end of the semester to have them. Im thinking of sending in a Common App Midterm Report paper, but im not sure if it would make any difference since they specifically requested Official Spring 2011 Transcript.
    You can tell how nervous and confused i am, i just want to know more about the admissions process, and how they handle the many people with my situation.
    The admission process IS very confusing, so you are not alone in your distress.

If you already applied to Purchase in February, you are "in the queue." Apparently they want to wait to see your spring grades before making a decision. My guess is that you are a borderline applicant, so good 2nd-semester grades could push you into the "In" pile. (Can't say for sure, but that's what it sounds like.)

I realize that midterm grades don't go on transcripts, but if you have any (strong) midterm grades to show off (i.e., on a mid-term exam or paper), it can't hurt to send an update to Purchase that includes copies of these grades as well as a reminder that you're eager to enroll and will make sure your spring transcript arrives as soon as it's ready.

Good luck!
    OOOhhhhh okay i see what you mean!!! Thank you very much Sally, your advice and words of wisdom mean alot to me!!!!! :D
    You're very welcome. Let us know how you make out at Purchase.
  • krntomboykrntomboy Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Hi,
    I noticed couple days ago that on my UC application I listed a class in 10th grade (first semester only b/c i transfered schools) as AP Chemistry when it was actually Honors Chemistery. for the second semester, I listed it correctly as Honors Chemistery. I emailed UCinfo about this and they said that they would notify the UC's I applied for.

Will this become a negative problem for me? Will this cause the UC's reject me because of my mistake?

Oh, and there was another mistake, I listed my 10th grade Algebra2/trig (second semester) as a normal class when it was actally an Honors. I didn't report this mistake though because I just found out today as I looked through my application.

I'm so worried b/c of my stupid mistakes. I checked my application a bunch of times but I guess i overlooked my classes. GAHHHH!!!

Please and Thank you!!!
    Not a problem krntomboy. Your errors will not affect your admissions outcome, but you were wise to send the email about the chem mix-up.

But, don't lose any sleep over this one.