Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The "most used" coach phrase ??

leftcoast15leftcoast15 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in Athletic Recruits
Taking a poll or gladly accepting subjective comments... how many times have you had a coach say "if you get admitted there is a spot for you on the team" ?

Read: I can't help you but if you got in and were good enough to play then my budget doesn't take a hit, I get a player and it's a win-win for me. Ok, that's slightly cynical. My bad.

Or, is it a phrase used by coaches who won't tell a student athlete they are not good enough to play and the coach assumes that's the last they will hear from the individual.

I know a coaches recruiting process is tough and there is a story a day about the silliness that occurs but the "if you get admitted..." phrase seems to be something that almost all coaches memorize the first day they become a coach...
Post edited by leftcoast15 on

Replies to: The "most used" coach phrase ??

• wilberry228wilberry228 Posts: 396Registered User Member
    My daughter heard that from a couple of coaches. One told her flat out that she wasn't fast enough for their championships so although they would love to have her on the team, they couldn't offer her a scholarship. I think they meant it - and another, an ivy coach she had talked to early on, contacted her late in the game to ask how she was doing. When she said she was still undecided, he basically said, well my slots are used up, but if you apply and get in, we will be thrilled! Again, I think he meant it - why else would he contact her?

I would hope most coaches are honest when they say that. Also, it depends on the sport and the team. Some teams can hold unlimited team members and others (like basketball for example) are a lot more limited.

I guess how you respond depends on how likely you are to get in without support, and whether you're willing to risk being denied playing time. Also how many offers you have from coaches who really want you. Some people prefer to be big fish in smaller ponds.

Edit: I do want to add that the two coaches who said that to her were off her list before she finished reading their emails! ;-)