Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GPA for athletes

Mysterybabe3xMysterybabe3x Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited May 2011 in Athletic Recruits
Alright so here's my dilemma; I have a 3.5/3.6 and after looking at other people on this site, I'm starting to really stress about getting into a good college. My dream is to get into a solid D1 college for the sport I play (my coaches say I'm good enough) it's just I don't feel like my grades are high enough to get into any of my dream schools.. NU, U of M, MSU. Is it true colleges are easier on athletes? If so, what's considered a good GPA for one?
Post edited by Mysterybabe3x on

Replies to: GPA for athletes

• hey_palhey_pal Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    If you take difficult courses, a 3.5 will not keep you from being recruited
  • varskavarska Posts: 1,174Registered User Senior Member
    A lot of the posts here have to do with the academic requirements for Ivy League athletics. You'll be fine with a 3.5 to play at any Big 10 school.
  • Mysterybabe3xMysterybabe3x Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    Yeah by the time I've graduated I will have taken AP Bio, AP English, AP German, AP Government, AP Macro, APUS, and AP euro?
    Thanks! Would you by any chance know about standardized tests?
  • varskavarska Posts: 1,174Registered User Senior Member
    A coach at a D1 scholarship school (Michigan, Mich St., etc) is mainly going to be concerned about your ability as an athlete. The D1 academic eligibility requirements are not particularly difficult:
    https://www.msu.edu/~msuncaa/DI%20Academic%20Eligibility%20Requirements%207.22.08%20Official%20Visits.pdf

That said, coaches like smart athletes. They want kids that can stay academically eligible and a program that slips below a certain APR (academic progress rate - based on the retention and elibilty of scholarship athletes) can be penalized by the NCAA.

Your academics are great in the world of D1 scholarship sports.
  • beenthere2beenthere2 Posts: 444Registered User Member
    There are plenty of Ivy league recruits with GPAs of 3.5 or lower. It depends on the caliber of your high school, your course load, and even more your standardized tests (they count double the grades at Ivy league schools.) In general, admission likes to see around 700 on each SAT sub score. But again, it depends on the sport, the school, your athleic level, etc.