Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best time to call college coach?

vballgirl94vballgirl94 Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Athletic Recruits
I'm not sure if anyone will really be able to answer this, but it's really been bothering me. I've been trying to contact a women's volleyball coach for months now. I've sent her plenty of emails with no response. Beginning this summer, I've also been trying to call her. I've tried calling in the middle of the day and in the late afternoon on multiple days of the week. The problem is, every time I call her, she doesn't pick up and I get her voicemail. About 3 weeks ago, I left a voicemail requesting that she call me back or email me, but she never did. I've tried calling many, many times with no response. I'm pretty sure this school would be interested in me, they are a smaller D2 school. My skills/height are comparable to players on their team. Any suggestions?
Post edited by vballgirl94 on

Replies to: Best time to call college coach?

• varskavarska Posts: 1,176Registered User Senior Member
    If I had to guess - I'd say she may have taken another position or is on an extended vacation.

Why don't you email or call one of the assistants?
  • vballgirl94vballgirl94 Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    Well she was actually just named the head volleyball coach like 4 months ago. She has no assistant coaches. The volleyball team is in pre-season now so I know she is at the school...
  • GolfFatherGolfFather Posts: 1,519Registered User Senior Member
    There could be a million reasons. Including the coach might just be ignoring you. A lot of people have trouble giving negative news. But you don't know.

I'd take the same approach as when I get those speech recognition interactive voice response systems - get hold of a human!

Find a different phone number and call someone who will answer the phone in the athletic office (a secretary, an intern, another coach, etc.) and explain the situation.

Once you get hold of a live breathing human you have several options open to you.

Emails and voice messages often, as you've discovered, remain unanswered.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Posts: 1,711Registered User Senior Member
    How about sending a snail mail resume with your test scores, grades and volleyball stats, saying you are really interested in playing on her team and asking what the next st ep would be?
  • ThreesdadThreesdad Posts: 490Registered User Member
    Can you coach talk to you....are you at the point where there can be communication? The NCAA is pretty stricy about coach/potential player contact.

If you're not getting through, and this is a program very high on your list, perhaps you can have your club coach call. The collegiate coach and your club coach can chat until the cows come home as far as the NCAA is concerned.
    I have already sent a snail mail package including a skills video, resume, and cover letter. I sent that at the beginning of summer. I am a rising senior so all contact is okay at this point.
  • GolfFatherGolfFather Posts: 1,519Registered User Senior Member
    Can you coach talk to you....are you at the point where there can be communication? The NCAA is pretty stricy about coach/potential player contact.

Well, I'm assuming someone named vballgirl94 is someone who is 17 or 18 years old ... in other words - a junior or a senior.

And there were significant changes this year to the rules for NCAA Division II coaches when it comes to contact and communication.

College coaches at the Division II level are now able to call, email, text, and use social media with potential recruits beginning June 15th of their sophomore year.

And, even before, I think they were allowed one call or email back per week anyway.

I just checked and, yes, Div II coaches were allowed once a week calls.
  • csdadcsdad Posts: 1,925Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds like if you really have your heart set on playing college volleyball, you should look at other schools.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Posts: 950Registered User Member
    My two cents....

If you are that interested in the school, I would schedule a visit through Admissions and request a meeting with the coach. Another thought is attend one of their recruiting camps. Otherwise, I would move onto the next schools on your recruiting list, and forget about this coach/school. Sometimes logic doesn't apply to college athletic recruiting, and there isn't much you can do about it except move on.

One of the things we learned early in this process is that you want to be part of a program that wants you. We came across many schools that we thought were perfect for my son, but for whatever reason they did not offer him. We would rack our brains about it, but we learned over time that was not productive. So we moved on. Some teams have their fill of certain positions for example. He learned to not take it personally, and move onto the next schools that had interest in him.

Good luck.
    I have actually visited this school before, last November. I would have met with the volleyball coach, but at that time they did not have a volleyball coach as the former one had quit. My mom actually has a business meeting this October near the school, and she would be willing to let me come with her to visit and meet with the coach. I told the coach this in the voicemail, but again there was no response.

It's going to be really hard to give up this school, as it is pretty much my dream school. When I visited it, I basically fell in love with it, but I would not be able to attend without playing volleyball there because of the cost/distance from home.
    Are you being actively recruited by any DII or DIII collges for volleyball?
  • momof2010momof2010 Posts: 392Registered User Member
    vballgirl, what makes it your top school? When my son was going thru recruiting he had a top school and it turned out he ended up somewhere else and it was the best thing he could have ever done. If you are WANTED by a program you will be much happier in your sport. If you have to fight just to get a call back that is not a very good sign IMO. I assume the 94 means you were born in that year and you are going to be a senior which means she could call you back and for what ever reason is choosing not too.. Don't get too hung up on one school, there is a reason for everything and perhaps what you think is your dream school might not be the best place for you in the long run. Good luck.
    @csdad I have been recruited pretty heavily by one D3 school and a couple more have shown a good amount of interest. I've been contacting other D2 schools, and one is interested but is not doing any more recruiting until their Fall season is over. He has expressed interest in coming to see me play in early club season.

@momof2010 I guess you are right. I mean I have seen a few other schools that I like, it's just that this one school really stood out to me.
    It's going to be really hard to give up this school, as it is pretty much my dream school. When I visited it, I basically fell in love with it, but I would not be able to attend without playing volleyball there because of the cost/distance from home.

.....if you are only being heavily recruited by one DIII school I would not count on getting financial assistance via. Volleyball. True scholarship $ seems very unlikely, merit aid may be possible, but it doesn't sound like you have a lot of leverage.
  • 4yearvacation4yearvacation Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    vballgirl94, I don't think you'll know anything for sure until you go out and try to meet with that coach. My D was interested in a school, and the head coach seemed really lukewarm on her (emails with one-word response or no response at all). Once they met and talked, they hit it off. The coach actually told my D when they met that she doesn't do well with keeping up with the email, and to not take it personally - just keep sending it, especially video. So that's what she did, and she was eventually offered on OV at that school. So I would say, don't assume that no response means not interested. It may mean that. It may not. It would certainly be nice to get a response, but these coaches are busy with all kinds of things, and if this coach is new, she may be overwhelmed. At least if you go out there and try, you'll know you did all you could. If it doesn't work out, you can move on without wondering. Good luck!