Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can Graduate Students play ?

PLME21maibePLME21maibe Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2012 in Athletic Recruits
Is it true that an athlete can only play for 4 years? Is this driven by the rules governing athletic scholarships? Saw the following NCAA Graduate Student FAQ here: Latest News - NCAA.org. It does not answer the basic questions I am trying to understand.

My scenario is the following: Student who was on-track for D-1 recruitment slowed down starting middle of Junior senior year, after deciding on a career in medicine; potential D3/D2 recruit now, chose not participate in any recruitment efforts. Kid wants to play beyond club-level (walk-on the team, if allowed). No boost, no scholarship, play walk-on if good enough / allowed / open spot / etc. Straight-forward so far.

Now the unusual situation part: If lucky, kid may get into a school with guaranteed admission to medical school directly from HS (4 year UG + maintain 3.5 GPA + enter med-school for 4 years; co-located campuses, as it can make a difference in sports). What happens to the walk-on possibilities in this scenario? limited to how many years? 4 or 5 or more? just the 1st 4 years or any 4 years? etc? Note: no expectation of athletic scholarship for the duration

Am I am hopelessly over-complicating the issue? I realize this is not a recruiting question per-se, and I plan to reach out to the coach after the (lucky part) admission is secured. Appreciate any pointers.
Post edited by PLME21maibe on

Replies to: Can Graduate Students play ?

• GolfFatherGolfFather Posts: 1,519Registered User Senior Member
    The link you provided is about transfers.

The rules concerning graduate students are pretty clear:

Division I student-athlete with remaining eligibility may continue participating in athletics while enrolled in graduate classes.

To compete while in graduate school, a student-athlete must be within five calendar years of his or her initial enrollment in college. Student-athletes who have exhausted their five-year window for competition, but who have lost more than one season of competition due to injury, can apply for a waiver to continue playing.

I know a woman who rowed as a graduate student.

Though I wonder what the rules are for Div II or III.
  • PLME21maibePLME21maibe Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    @GolfFather: Thanks. So, it is as I had initially suspected. Allowed, but only for a maximum of 5 years in total, further restricted by the initial enrollment date. For the normal path 4 UG years + 1st year of PG. Did I summarize accurately? Still unclear about the total length of eligibility (4 or 5 years)!

In this case, the school in question is Div I. Do you think it could vary significantly in Div II or III ? Maybe someone else will chime in too.

Do you recollect any additional details about the woman who rowed in grad school?

PS: There is a BOX INSERT with 4 questions on the link I listed .. here is what it contains:
    Graduate Student FAQ
    • Can a graduate student still participate as an NCAA athlete?
      [size=-2]Yes. A Division I student-athlete with remaining eligibility may continue participating in athletics while enrolled in graduate classes.
      To compete while in graduate school, a student-athlete must be within five calendar years of his or her initial enrollment in college. Student-athletes who have exhausted their five-year window for competition, but who have lost more than one season of competition due to injury, can apply for a waiver to continue playing.[/size]
    • Can a baseball, basketball, men’s ice hockey or Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football student-athlete transfer and compete at a new school as a grad student?
      [size=-2]Yes. Student-athletes in these sports that have graduated undergrad can transfer to a graduate school at another campus and play right away without submitting a waiver provided:
      • The student-athlete has one year of eligibility remaining
      • The student-athlete has not previously transferred schools
      • The original school releases the student-athlete from his or her scholarship
      If the first school does renew the graduated student-athlete’s scholarship, the graduated student-athlete must go through the waiver process to transfer to a new school and play right away.[/size]
    • What if a student-athlete wants to enroll in a graduate program not offered by his or her undergrad school and compete in their sport?
      [size=-2]If the student-athlete has remaining eligibility, he or she must submit a waiver request. If the student-athlete meets the one-time transfer exception (meaning he or she has never transferred before), he or she is free to transfer to a new school and does not need to submit a waiver request.[/size]
    • What committee reviews the waiver request for grad transfers?
      [size=-2]Graduate transfer waiver requests are initially reviewed by a team of NCAA staff members. If the waiver request is denied, the school may appeal to the Division I Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief, comprised of five campus and conference administrators from across the membership.[/size]
  • schoolhouseschoolhouse Posts: 241Registered User Junior Member
    grad student compete all the time on all levels----I want to say the QB at Wisconsin this year is a good example,,,,,he was the QB at North Carolina State as a senior and first year grad Asst. at Wisconsin,,,,I think the rule is based on your class and then four years after broken by maybe a red shirt or injury year. you could also be in that situation if you file a petition due to injury where a 6th year of eligibility maybe granted.
    @schoolhouse: Thanks for the help.

So, in the most straight-forward case (without any academic interruption or red-shirting or injury-petition), the total eligibility is 4+1=5 Years. Yes?
  • momof2010momof2010 Posts: 392Registered User Member
    Once you start college the 5 year clock starts ticking. So if you have been in college 4 years so far and have not been on a varsity team for all 4 years (participating, not red shirt) you have one year of eligibility left.. Grad school or undergrad, does not matter.
    @momof2010: Thanks for your clarification. It helped clear up the remaining uncertainty I had.