Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

swimgirl5swimgirl5 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited July 2013 in Athletic Recruits
hi, i have a 2.6 gpa with a lot of AP and honors classes. I'm very bad at math so it holds me back quite a bit. I'm a multiple sport varsity athlete and I volunteer. I also help with student government sometimes and can write a good essay. my SATs were bad (because of math) 1420. The school I would like to get into is a SUNY school and the coach said I am the top recruit in the sport I am in for that school. I'm an out of state student, can I get in?
Post edited by swimgirl5 on

Replies to: 2.6 gpa

• SAMGinny16SAMGinny16 Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    Which SUNY is it?
  • swimgirl5swimgirl5 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
  • SAMGinny16SAMGinny16 Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    That's not such a hard school to get into...it certainly won't be easy, but here's what I think you should do:

- I take it you will be a senior this fall? If so, work REALLY hard the whole year. Make the first semester count. This will show them that albeit your low gpa, you really worked hard at the end.

- If you can, take the SAT again. Study hard for the Math section. Aim for at least a 1500, although a 1550 would be amazing. Maybe try the ACT and see how you do in that.

- If you're applying through Common App, make sure you write a really good essay, maybe about how much you love swimming! In your personal statement, explain your gpa and things like that.

These are just suggestions, although I really hope you follow them. I was in your shoes exactly a year ago with an even lower gpa, but a 1550 SAT score and I'm going to the school of my choice!! Good luck! :D
  • swimgirl5swimgirl5 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Okay thanks! Do you know about Fredonia state?
  • ChicagoMamaChicagoMama Posts: 234Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know the answer to your question but I wish you lots of luck!
  • snugapugsnugapug Posts: 517Registered User Member
    Doesn't the NCAA publish a table that states a sliding scale for GPA and SAT score. Seems like there are published minimums for Div 1, Div 2. I believe it exists and would be a good place to start. Get tutored in Algebra - in particular, and then take the ACT.