Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

who has time for an OV?

Replies to: who has time for an OV?

• MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    @fleishmo6 On overnights, my kid was a bit of a homebody so at the end of a long day of mutual evaluation between him and the program, he just wanted to be done and not have to deal with sleeping on a prospective teammate's floor. Other kids might be really excited to "try out" dorm life.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 3,771 Senior Member
    edited September 13
    OTOH, my daughter did an overnight at a Div3 school last spring (allowed for juniors under newish D3 rules) and I think it was valuable for her to see what life was really like for a student. She is a boarding school student, so it wasn't about trying out dorm life...more about what dorm life/team life is like at that particular school.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    I think the overnight is worthwhile to get a vibe for the campus as a whole. D has her first one Friday.
  • kjs1992kjs1992 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @rofikicafe I totally agree. One thing I do think that some (not all, but some) HS and club/travel coaches can do a better job of is realize that there's more to the kid than just being the athlete. I've had to navigate this with my S's club team and the mom in me has said, "This college visit trumps practice". It won't kill him. 20? Maybe - haha. However, I don't expect to hear last minute about a visit - they need to be proactive and timely. I've never had an issue because the communication is constantly there between me, my asst. and the kids. Really - as a coach if you don't know which ones have potential for OV's by Junior year and you're not talking to them about possible next steps, I feel that's part of the problem. Again, communication is key. This is a huge milestone for these kids, and a difficult one to navigate for even the most seasoned family. My own S is only 16 yr. old senior making this decision...the first real decision that has potential to impact the rest of his life - scary? You bet. If one of my girls has to miss a practice for an OV, no problem. A game/meet? We'll work through it - they know which ones are the super important ones that I can't live without them for, and we'll come up with a plan. If they were sick, I'd have to do the same thing. Life happens. Sport is only one part of who they are and, frankly, there are some things like visits that are a family decision and the coach should just let that be, and respect the family. We have a saying on my team that I borrowed from my best coaching mentor: Family, School, Sport. In that order. We live by it, and we've been pretty successful. Just my 2 cents being on both sides as mom and coach :).
  • rofikicaferofikicafe Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    @kjs1992 I wish our coach was a mom too. It's a perspective that is almost impossible to understand unless you are in it. Good luck to your team this season! Sounds like they have a pretty great leader :)
  • rofikicaferofikicafe Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Piggy backing your question with another question...if a college invited you, but you know your HS coach won't support it, what is the Politically correct way to answer the invitation.

My daughter just declined an UOV (d3) and said something along the lines of, I'd love to come and experience that, but I can't let my coach down because she is counting on me. On the one hand, you want the school to know you are interested, you want to show that you are a leader, but I read her message and it reminded me of a child in a very controlling environment. Like when you were 7 and your friend came knocking at the door and it was almost bed time and you had to say, "I really want to come out and play, but my mommy won't let me". HAHAHAHA...this process is HARD!!! Especially b/c my daughter NEVER wants to let her coach down.
  • jumpermomjumpermom Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I feel for you all! At this time last year we were trying to navigate 5 D1 OV (schools paid travel) and 2 UOV (the 2 closest schools...we paid travel) for our D17. She was in season for volleyball but being recruited for track. Her vball coach was not of the mindset that these visits were important (especially since they didn't involve her sport). I had to get the AD involved who agreed that getting these student athletes into the best fit of a school possible was their goal, so these visits were crucial.

It was also important to our daughter that she complete her recruiting journey by the early signing period for track (mid October) so she could enjoy the rest of her senior year. So, we somehow made it work, utilizing school holidays and combining visits to nearby schools (we were very lucky that the potential college coaches were willing to coordinate this with us - one picking her up from the airport, one taking her back, etc.). She did miss 5 days of school which thankfully the school recorded as excused.

Staying overnight was very important to our daughter as she knew that the teammates would be her main source of friends, at least at first. She wanted a good fit.

I don't know that I can offer much advice other than to know that while it seems stressful now, the end result is worth the struggle. Few can say they were a recruited college athlete and get to continue to play the sport they love at the next level. And, hey, if scholarship dollars are in the mix....all the better! ;)
  • oldladyandmomoldladyandmom Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Hi is there anyway to make it so that the OV starts on a Friday to visit one campus, see the team practice on saturday then travel to the next destination either late Saturday or early Sunday to the next college? You'd meet the team on the Sunday and visit the classes on the Monday? That way it's just 4 days and 2 school days missed. We did that
    @oldladyandmom We did that too! Worked like a charm with schools that were close to each other.
  • chelsea465chelsea465 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Kid is using next week's Thursday/Friday Rosh Hashanah holiday for his visit. The locals in his recruiting class suggested it to the coach since they knew they would be free on those days, then coach asked the rest.
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    edited September 14
    Since we live in a flyover state and S was being recruited by left and right coast school, S narrowed his visits to the 4 he was most interested in, that he had never visited and which the coaches had already gotten pre-reads and told him he was on their "official" list and would fully support him if he applied ED. I could easily see though that if the kid is still competing for a spot at a school he/she really wants, that you would prioritize an OV to that school to show the coach his/her serious interest.

Schedule was leave Thursday. Hang with players, go to classes on Friday. Watch practice Friday/Sat. Go home Sat. S got pretty good at doing homework on the plane and teachers were supportive in giving him materials for the classes he was going to miss. That having been said, 4 visits were pretty taxing in terms of missing class time and the hit on my credit card (coaches took care of local transp, meals and he stayed with someone from the team) from the air tix. The trips were definitely worthwhile in terms of narrowing down what he wanted from college.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    These last few posts raise a question for me. I thought OV's were generally structured and set up by the coach for a group. It sounds like some of you set up an official visit more like what I expected from UOV's. Is it common to do OV's on a customized schedule?
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 2,826 Senior Member
    @dadof4kids Maybe a D3 vs. D1 thing? My D3 kid scheduled visits fall of senior year based on his own competition schedule and college team's match schedule, plus his academic commitments. Programs usually offered some preferred dates, but if those didn't work for my kid's schedule, everyone adapted. Sometimes there were other prospects there on the same day, often because coaches wanted prospects there for game days, and there are only so many home matches in the fall in Sept/early Oct.
    All of our D1 daughter's OVs were independently scheduled due to her playing a fall sport and needing to work around tournament schedules. Coaches were very accommodating.