Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

who has time for an OV?

Replies to: who has time for an OV?

• mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    My D's D3 OVs are also independently scheduled to accommodate her schedule. One is scheduled midweek to take advantage of the Rosh Hashanah holiday.
  • planitplanit Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    If it is any comfort, most athletes I know have not done all of the OVs that they originally scheduled. I think nearly every kid we know has made the call after two OVs. I am sure there are plenty of exceptions, but there is also a good chance that any athlete will be one (or two) and done.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,894 Senior Member
    My son did 4 OVs and then cancelled the others for the same reason-grades and time away from school. That's why it's good to visit a little at a time starting sophomore year if you can. With my DD, we visited schools whenever we were in the area, and over the summer, and last spring, so by now, she really only has 3 schools to seriously consider. it's nice to be asked, but they can only attend one school, after all. Plus for D3, it's all your dime!
  • fbsdreamsfbsdreams Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
    As others have said, it's tough and it takes a real comittent between the OV and the camps. Well worth it in the end, but stressful in the middle of it.

For what it's worth, I would give just about anything to do it all over again with my son. Looking back it was a very special time athletically, academically and personally.

Enjoy it !!!
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    edited September 20
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that I did go with my daughter. Partly because this trip required a flight. And while the visit is really all about the prospect getting to learn more about the coach/team/school, I don't think it's a bad idea for a parent to go — especially if you have never been to the school before.

After dropping kid off with host, I did not see her again until we rendezvoused the next day to observe a team practice. Also, there was time baked into the schedule that day for me to meet with coach one-on-one to ask any questions...and that opportunity was extremely valuable.

Second OV is very drivable distance, and we will drop off and pick up — hoping to have similar one-on-one time with coach at pick up.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,588 Senior Member
    I flew with my daughter for one OV, and the coach really didn't want anything to do with me. Guess what? My daughter doesn't go to that school. The coach said she didn't have anything to do with FA, but had made no effort for me to have an appointment (we were there Fri and Sat), and I only went on the school tour because my daughter called me on Sat am and asked me to go with her (otherwise she would have been by herself on that public tour).

A second OV we drove but stayed overnight in a hotel (school paid). The coach had a meeting with each recruit and parent (there were 5 there for that weekend), had taken us all on a tour of the school on the school's trolley, and in all ways made the parents (um, the ones with the checkbooks) feel part of the decision.

D1 football recruiting now allows the teams to pay for parents to go on the OVs because it is a huge decision for a 17 year old to make. And the recruits behave better when Mom is there!
  • kjs1992kjs1992 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    It's really an interesting process, and one many of my athletes have gone through, but never me as a parent. Our son just had his 2nd OV last night into today. It pretty much solidified where this school now stands.....a very, very distant 3rd..maybe 4th (and reinforced his OV 2 weeks ago as #1). We're glad he still kept the visit because we think he needed the not-so-great experience (to say the least) of this weekend to help him weigh his options and see why #1 is #1. He stays over at #2 in a few weeks (his last OV that he's accepted), and while that is a close contender, we think he's pretty much concluded that it will be hard, if not impossible, to top the visit at #1. And, mom and dad agree :). We are truly lucky our kids have been afforded these opportunities to help them make these tough decisions.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    OV#2 in the books. Now the calculus of figuring out which school she wants to ED to...
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    @planit congrats to your daughter! Was she being offered a combination of athletic and academic or was it a pure athletic scholarship for the 100%? Also you said mid-major D1. Was she a recruit who could have gone to a higher caliber athletic school, which made here a hot commodity at a mid-major?

• oldladyandmomoldladyandmom Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Hi just on the canceling of the OVs, and I'm talking ivy experience, but this can be not as straightforward as thought- especially if plane tickets have been purchased and the like. One chum of my DS cancelled an OV at an Ivy only to have the school demand payment for the tickets and be lectured by the coach about how his accepting the OV had by necessity bumped another from person from getting that chance, that it was thoughtless and he hadn't even given them a chance etc. etc. The chum's family paid back the school for the nonrefundable ticket. DS went to all 5 OVs he'd committed to although he was fairly confident he'd found his place early on.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply. S has been in touch with several schools since spring of soph year. I feel like he's doing everything pretty much right, but I still stress about it. I keep trying to gather information so if his current plan (Ivy/equivalent) falls through I can help him with a backup.