I’m a Canadian/Czech citizen living in the Czech Republic for the last fourteen years, attending an international school and taking the IB diploma program [I’m a junior]. Our school is really rigorous and there’s none of that grade fluffing stuff. I think there’s like one or two people with a 4.0 GPA - the rest are below.
9thth Grade: GPA 3.6 [blah - does it matter that much since it was early in high school?]
10th Grade: GPA 3.8
- IB Higher Level 20th Century History A+
- IB Higher Level English A
- IB Higher Level Theatre Arts A+
- IB Math Studies II B+ [89% but it should go up]
- IB Biology A-
- IB German 4/5 B+
- GPA 3.8
* This is a grade in progress I’m looking for straight A's or at least moving one of my two B+'s up to an A-/A by the end of the year which I think is attainable if I work my butt off.
Main EC’S + Service
- piano [my tenth year]
- Varsity Girls Soccer (probably captain next year)
- acted in most of the school plays - large roles.
- MUN in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Czech lessons
- Habitat for Humanity Poland, about 30 hours
- I worked with a Czech human rights foundation last year
- currently planning a career fair for our high school
I haven’t taken the SAT’s yet, but here are my PSAT scores:
Math: 54 [I know, absolutely terrible but I’m studying crazy hard to get up to a minimum of 650 and ideally a 700]
Writing: 61 [I’m not sure why this was so low but it should be able to get it up]
Recommendations: should be excellent
Essay: I will make sure it’s nothing less than excellent
Other Schools I’m considering:
hey, i think that you would have great chances for Bates. I also applied ED to Brown and was deferred and then later rejected and I am so glad that I have decided to attend Bates. Smaller classes, personal relationships with faculty, and the students are so fantastic. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. Good luck!
hey iceikle252 wat do u think of my chances..
SAT I: CR 580 M 680 W 700
SAT II: Maths II: 750 Chem 640 Bio 530
Nepal Red Cross Society
• General member of the Nepal Red Cross Society
• Involved regularly in Blood Donation programs, First Aid Trainings, Disaster Relief Programs
United Society Development – Nepal
• Participated in raising funds for operation of a heart patient
Women's Skill Development Project
• Involved in the administrative affairs of the organization
• Volunteered in the organization's programs to equip women with handicraft skills
Union for Innovation – Nepal
• Organized winter camp as well as involved in programs aimed at counseling students about abroad studies
• Captain of the football team, winner of football tournament in 10th Grade, participated in numerous cricket games within school as well as outside school against other teams
• Winner of the "Best Bowler" award during the cricket competition
• Winner of chess competition for 2 successive years ( Grade 9 & 10 ) in school
• Participated in volley ball, badminton and hand ball tournament in school
• Volunteer during annual Sports Day in school
• Participated in football and cricket tournament in College as well
• Volunteer during the music competitions in college
switch--your creative writing and biology scores could be a bit higher, but they certainly are not bad, however, Bates does encourage students with scores they feel do not accurately portray them to not submit. Your other scores are well within Bates ranges so I would take some time to consider a course of action. I am assuming you are from Nepal? Bates does have a fair amount of international students and I think they are very selective...if you plan on playing football in college I would definetly advertise your talents, the Bates football coach would probably be glad to have you!
i've alrdy send my SAT I and II scores to Bates.. do u think i should ask them not consider those... i'm very much interested in football (soccer).. do u think theres any way that i can be in touch with bates football coach... hehe
that is completely up to you (about the scores). in order to reach the soccer coach (and yes, i thought you meant american football) check on the bates website and literally call or email him. as for my application process, i am currently a student at bates who wishes that she had someone to give her some advice throughout the process and so that is why i've kept my college confidential account. Bates was not my first choice (as stated above I applied ED to Brown), but I am very pleased with Bates and so happy I ended up there as opposed to the other schools I applied to.
Hi iceikle 252, I'm from Indonesia and also applying to Bates. Can you pls predict my chances...
I don't know my GPA since my school dont use it. I'm taking the IB diploma:
Indonesian A1HL 6
English A2SL 5
History HL 4
Physics HL 6
Mathematics HL 7
Chemistry SL 6
SAT I: V 560 M 750 W 410
SAT II: Math2 800 Physics 800 Chemistry 710
TOEFL iBT: 103
-founder of chess club in my recent and previous schools
-head of the chess club
-10th place National Chess competition
-soccer player for two years
-3rd place mathematics competition (province level)
-34th place mathematics competition (regional level)
-3rd place mathematics competition held by a Japanese organization
-Student Council member for 5 years
-fundraising for underpriviliged school
-fundraising for people with mental disability social organization
-organized a charity program to social organization for elderly peoply (i dont know the english term)
-organized a charity program to an orphanage
-Participated in Leadership Training Program
-Participated in 30 Hrs Famine Program (fundraising too)
Btw, I'm has just turned 16 (I skipped fifth grade and participated in acceleration class program to finish three year of junior high school in two year)
My school grades is not so great and I think my ECs arent that impressive. I think my young age is rather a weakness than a plus. two weeks left till the final decision and I am sooooo desperate!!
MSianipar, are you brother of Wilson Sianipar who goes to Wesleyan University? i'm just curious sorry ^^
by the way, decision is out today. half of the admitted students should have received emails from Bates by now. Congrats on those who admitted, and the rest, wait for few more days. best of luck to you guys
wow, Immortele, how do you know? Yes, I'm his younger brother, Michael, currently studying in Indonesia.
Are you in Wesleyan too, or are you still in high school (probably AIC --> Wilson's high school)? I wish I can get the Freeman Scholarship too to go to Wesleyan, but oh well, I'm not doing very well in my high school years. Nice to meet you in the forum though And pls introduce yourself too just so I know about you and perhaps I can ask Wilson about you too.
lol, i'm his friend from high school in New Zealand. i could easily guess from your surname, i mean, not many people would have that Sianipar surname rite?
i'm now a freshman at Bates, so i'm curious about this year freshmen.