Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Bates vs. Holy Cross

MountainDewdMountainDewd Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
Hi all,

I posted a similar thread on the Holy Cross forum, so I could get somewhat of a balanced view. I understand that the views in this forum will be Bates-biased, as they should be...however if one would like to offer insight on Bates - compared to Holy Cross in a way - that would be very much appreciated.

Bates and Holy Cross seem to be my top 2 college choices, and I believe come Fall, I will be applying ED to one of them. I can see myself equally at both Bates and HC.

There are a few things I am curious about:
1) How do students, or even prospectives, feel about the size? (i.e. How do you feel about the class size, and the more intimate relations with Profs?)

2) Could anyone offer insight about the Politics department at Bates (or Holy Cross)? Does it have a decent reputation with the offices of politicians or political think tanks? - Internship/potential employment-wise.

3) Law School placement. How does Bates (or Holy Cross) perform in sending grads to T-14 schools? I know that Law admissions are supposedly based solely on LSAT + GPA...but does the Bates (or Holy Cross) name count for anything? I have heard, from a Bates grad, that the avg. GPA is slightly lower for grads at Bates. Is there any truth to this? - And is it significant enough to not attend the college, because it could potentially hinder admission to Law Schools where GPA is key? *I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but truthfully...I don't want to graduate with a sub-par GPA.

4) Lastly, how does a Bates (or Holy Cross) name hold ("prestige"-wise) nationwide? I am from MD, and very few people are knowledgeable on Bates and Holy Cross (let alone many other NESCAC and Patriot League schools) I know that people "in the know" (mostly academics) are aware of the "prestige" of these schools...but what about the general, educated, public? - Also, I might have to add this...What do you think about the "prestige" (I know it is a very general term) of Bates compared to another LAC like Holy Cross...or any other NESCAC or Patriot League school?

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you very much!!!
This discussion has been closed.