Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Bates vs. Colby vs Conn College

EDthreeEDthree Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited April 2010 in Bates College
Any insight?? I just got into all three, and they are all fairly similar, so I was wondering if anyone knows how they stand apart. I'm looking for a bit more of a intellectual, artsy atmosphere (which I know all of them have on a small scale).

thanks
Post edited by EDthree on

Replies to: Bates vs. Colby vs Conn College

• worldcitizen53worldcitizen53 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi my S also accepted at Bates. How is your decision process going ? We have narrowed it down to bates or Elon University in NC.
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    Colby is probably the least artsy of the three. If that helps..
  • EDthreeEDthree Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm still trying to figure it out--I just looked at Colby and it was nice, the people were extremely friendly, but it was kind of preppy and sporty

I know that Bates and Elon are really different---from the people who have gotten accepted at my school, Bates seems a bit more competitive and less preppy
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,894 Senior Member
    Bates-more prestigious, stronger student body, more balanced demographic, great facilities,very egalitarian, great alumni network, great prof/grad school placement.
    Colby is similar but much further away from anything.
    Connecticut College is not in the same tier, unless you are a swimmer. Then it's CC all the way.
  • werd814werd814 Registered User Posts: 1,090 Senior Member
    That's funny. OldbatsieDoc's post marks the second time today that I've read somebody on this website describing Bates as more prestigious than Colby. I've never thought that-- in fact I've only ever thought Colby to be a bit more prestigious, but likely because of my affiliation (and some USNWR bias-- curse you College Confidential USNWR obsession!), haha.

In all earnestness, I'd put Colby and Bates at equal prestige-- above Conn College. Many of my friends are receiving offers from Stanford, Harvard, Yale, UWashington, BC, Tufts, etc. I even had one Yale gradcom tell me directly that Colby was a very well-respected school and would help me along in the admissions process (I would throw Bates in this category as well... to tell you the truth, I just don't know enough about Conn to in/exclude it).

Also, I swam at Colby and we put CC in their place a few times... but not really. The CC swim team is phenomenal, haha, though we definitely showed Bates a thing or two about hydropower ;-).

Colby is definitely pretty far from things (with the exception of pure, unabated wilderness), but for me, that wasn't really a huge problem-- driving a half an hour more to get to Portland, Boston, etc. wasn't really a big deal.

I'd have to agree that the student bodies at Bates and Colby seem fairly different. I mean, each school seems to foster myriad personality types and VERY intelligent and motivated students, but they are definitely two different animals. I myself may have fit in better with the Bates crowd as I am pretty crunchy-outdoorsy, but I TRULY loved the people at Colby. I wouldn't trade my time there for the world.

If you haven't visited these schools, I'd highly recommend doing so-- a visit can make all the difference.

Edit: I think I may have originally misread OldbatesieDoc's post, but just in case, I'll leave my blurb about Colby and Bates being on-par with each other.
  • EDthreeEDthree Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    thanks so much for all your help

i am visiting bates today, so we'll see how that goes
This discussion has been closed.