Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Freshman Residence Assignments at Beloit

LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 5,937Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Beloit College
The college is so small; what's the process for getting paired with a roomate or suitemates? Does the school permit Freshmen to solicit possible roomates on their own during the summer prior to enrollment?
Post edited by LakeWashington on

Replies to: Freshman Residence Assignments at Beloit

• SimpleRulesSimpleRules Posts: 534Registered User Member
    Parent response - Beloit is a small college that attracts a wide variety of 'types' of students so in my observation they have also done a very good job of providing a wide variety of housing options too and they seem to do a very thorough job of placing freshman. I'm sure that if both students requested to room together they would honor that, though a call to housing by your S or D would confirm that. D is a student - last year she filled out a very detailed form which led her to be on a floor that was a very good fit for her.
  • Mary13Mary13 Posts: 2,420Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter is a student at Beloit. Like SimpleRules’ D, she filled out a detailed questionnaire for the Residential Life office before being matched with a roommate. To be perfectly honest, the match wasn’t great, but that’s no one’s fault. There were no problems—just a year of cordiality rather than a warm friendship. I only mention that to underscore the fact that selecting roommates based on a questionnaire is truly guesswork, with no way to account for that elusive “chemistry,” or lack thereof.
  • MirilliaMirillia Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    The res life survey students complete isn't always a successful way of assigning roommates, but it's a lot better than completely random assignments. I was very happy with my freshman year roommate--she is still one of my best friends. On a side note, I think that Res Life has a bit of a sense of humor with roommate assignments--my freshman year, I knew a bunch of people whose roommates had the same first names as them. Just a little confusing...
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,817Registered User Senior Member
    Parent of senior here. I was SO impressed with the roomie chosen for my D freshman year. The chemistry was about perfect. You never know, but it certainly worked out far better than I'd have anticipated for my initially shy D.
  • cristilinecristiline Posts: 242Registered User Junior Member
    So fellow applicants--which halls are you applying for? Current/former students--which halls would you recommend?

My first choice is 609 Emerson because I can be a bit of a shut-in if I don't make an effort to get to know new people, and I've heard 609 is the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and they form a very close-knit community.

I'm not sure what to list as my other choices, though! I'm thinking Aldrich, but I'm not sure about the other rooms.
  • boilingwaxboilingwax Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    for my hall preferences, i listed Porter, Aldrich and Chaplin, respectively. Here's a guide that helped me decide a lot [url=http://www.****/note.php?note_id=213254844963]Beloit Received Pronunciation (BeRP) | Facebook[/url]

609 emerson is substance free, if that means anything to you. what'd you put as "the most important thing my new roommate should know about me"?
  • KaiserinSisiKaiserinSisi Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
    My top choices are 609, Aldrich, and Chapin-Brannon-Maurer. I really like the sound of 609.

The most important thing for me is that I don't like conflict, and that I sometimes will say things that sound rude even though I don't mean for them to sound that way.
    I warned that I stay up late, but I'll try to be quiet, and I said that I'm pretty accommodating about other's habits. Growing up with my little sister definitely taught me how to ignore things that others might find irritating.
  • archimomarchimom Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Not meaning to sound totally clueless, but can anyone explain what "substance free" means in the CONTEXT of Beloit --
    no substances allowed in the dorm (yes, I know that is probably the "rule" for any underage dorm, or in the case of drugs, anywhere, but what is the reality)?
    a pledge by the student to not take substances of any kind while living in that dorm/on that floor?
    somewhere between a party floor and a totally "dry" oasis?

My S is considering Beloit and while he is definitely NOT a partyer, he may, at some point his freshman year, succumb to trying a glass of Wisconsin's renowned brew even though he will be underage. I don't want to encourage him to look at substance free floors if that is outside the norm for that demographic any more than I would suggest a "party" dorm for him. What is the reality on this campus?

Thanks for anyone who can provide practical guidance.
    I'm only a future student (so not 100% sure) but from what I understand, I believe there are plenty of students in the substance-free dorm who drink, but they keep it to other dorms. I think he should be fine in 609 if he's not going to be drinking regularly.
  • archimomarchimom Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    @ cristiline -- thanks, that makes it much clearer. I hope he is "not going to be drinking regularly"; kind of an expensive way to send him to the bar :-).