Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
soccerboy201soccerboy201 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Got wait listed with a 4.4 gpa, 1240 sat. People at my high school got in with 3.5 gpas and lower sat scores. Not sure what this school is thinking. Got into northeastern so safe to say i am not going to wait around to hear from Bentley.

Replies to: Bentley

  • Soakes99Soakes99 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    i got waitlisted too, 3.9 gpa and 1210 sat
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    From looking at the other posts, it looks like both of your SAT scores were on the low side. Your GPA's are great but it seems that Bentley might have drew a line in the sand concerning SAT scores. Many people drop off the list due to affordability concerns. It is still very possible they will allow you in if you can full pay. There is still hope.
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    @soccerboy201 don't sweat it. If you got into Northeastern I wouldn't even bother with the waitlist. Bentley is looking to keep pace with the other local schools and are looking for higher and higher test scores. Glad you have other options
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,955 Senior Member
    edited March 18
    @MassDaD68 Wondering how your son is handling the acceptance with no merit? I know that merit is necessary for your family (like ours and so many others). What is his top choice now with the acceptances he has? Is he still waiting on other schools?

    I would try to call them and see if you can get some money out of them. Especially if you can say "we will accept on the spot if you give us 20K in merit" or something to that effect.
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    @suzyQ7 He is pretty disappointed. He does understand that there are smart kids out there and that having a 4.0 GPA does not guarantee money. He really felt they would have given some money. To not get anything is a reality check for him. The only take away I can give him is that they must have had a tremendous application pool this year to cause such a high cut-off for the lowest scholarship offer - 1/3 tuition.

    His choice now is a simple redirect. Bentley was the clear first choice and he would have preferred to attend. His overnight with the coach and XC/Track team only solidified his wish to attend. He is not a recruit-able athlete for purposes of athletic aid and apparently none for Merit aid either. He will just have to move down the list to the second choice which was Bryant University. He gives Bentley a slight edge because of its closer proximity to Boston. He loves both campus's equally.

    I am reluctant to have his application reconsidered for merit aid because they would need to bypass the lowest package and give him the middle package. I just feel we are too far off.

    I am hopeful he can put this behind him and concentrate on Bryant University. It is time to redirect his energy.

    Thanks SuzyQ for asking btw. :)

  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,955 Senior Member
    My friend's daughter attends Bryant and loves jt. Several years ago I had a Bryant summer intern (a sophomore who we invited back Junior yr too) who was excellent - very intelligent and well prepared for corporate America. Your son will probably love it.

    That said, it will not hurt to give Bentley a call in a few weeks and explain you need the 1/2 tuition, remind them of the coach discussions and how you will accept on the spot. Don't be afraid to try... You have nothing to lose. I would wait until Early April.
Sign In or Register to comment.