Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP Environmental Science or AP Statistics?

RB3322RB3322 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited March 2011 in Boston College
I will be applying to the CSOM next fall, and am wondering what class I should take for my senior year. Is AP Stat significantly harder than APES? And am I correct to assume that AP Stat would probably look better on my transcript? I appreciate all the feedback.
Post edited by RB3322 on

Replies to: AP Environmental Science or AP Statistics?

• bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,560Registered User Senior Member
    deleting duplicate post
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,560Registered User Senior Member
    Stats is a great course, but hardness really depends on your HS teacher and background. If you have already aced AP Bio, then Enviro can be really easy since it is just a subset of bio. OTOH, your ES teacher may pile on a lot of busy work -- and field trips for beach clean-up.

Sure, any biz school would rather see Stats over Enviro. But, senior course selection depends on what else you have and what else is offered. Colleges would prefer to see Calc instead of Stats, for example. Colleges would also prefer to see four years each of the standard academic disciplines.
  • TOStudentTutorTOStudentTutor Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    Take whichever class is more interesting to you! Don't try to fit what colleges are looking for, because they're looking for kids that love what they're doing..

But....if you're interested in business, then stats is a class you'll be taking, and is much more related than environmental.

Also.....a lot of CSOM retake Statistics at BC, even if they've tested out of it with AP's, if they can get this one teacher who they say is pretty great. Of course, I'm sure there's multiple teachers, but maybe something to think about if you're serious about going to BC.

Mcgowan - Boston College
  • trizz75trizz75 Posts: 628Registered User Member
    I would strongly advise taking AP Statistics. Why? Our statistics department is deplorable at best (minus McGowan). Half cannot speak English and the other half are grad students who cannot teach. Work hard, though, because you have to get a 5 to test out. It is the only AP you have to get a 5, and I was one of the many unfortunate souls who got a 4 and had to retake.