I got in the honors program too! my friend is in it. i think everyone in the honors program stays in the same residence hall as each other. idk much else, but it's an honor to be accepted into it. congrats!
honors students get an option of living in the same residence hall as other honors students or they can option to live with people that aren't in honors. the honors program is comparable to the high school version of honors classes. people in most of your classes will be in the honors program.
Are honors class sizes much smaller than regular class sizes? It said on the letter of acceptance that those in Honors were in the top 5% of all applicants...which amounts to around 1,500--a lot of people even if many decide not to go to BC. Thanks!
Yeah, I didn't see anything regarding Honors dorms for Carroll, but on the website, it seems like there is the Honors House for that purpose. The site is under construction, so there aren't any pictures, but it's there.
carrol honors students are able to opt out of the honors dorm. only reason why i know this is because my friend is in csom honors and lives in Newton.
1) How will my classes differ from the normal classes?
If you're in the honors program. you have to take honors classes as well as classes with just the general population at BC to fulfill your core classes. you're givne a schedule of classes you'll need to take. I don't know much since im not in the program myself, all this information comes from my friend on the floor.
2) Does this involve other classes (like math, my intended major) or is it strictly about the core humanities classes?
I'm not sure how it'll affect your intended major, but I'm pretty sure some of the classes you'll need to take in order to complete the core will be of the honors variety.
3) How different is the honors program in terms of work and prestige? (both in the humanities and other subjects)
Work in the honors program is supposed to be much harder than that of regular classes. I have no idea about the prestige factor; however, BC is an already prestigious college in its own right and it'll be a bonus to add "BC Honors" to your resume.
I read somewhere that honors students take approximately 25% of all their classes at BC in honors classes. while the other 75% will be taken with students that aren't in the honors program.
From what I've read it seems that the honor's program is just a course that you take along with your other classes, but I don't know for sure.
"HONORS is a four-year humanities curriculum as "studia humanitatis" was originally understood in the Renaissance: a shared search for what is humane, first in our studies, and then in ourselves. While focusing closely on specialized subjects -- and while students also pursue the usual academic majors from across the arts and sciences -- we still follow an overarching logic. This is the necessary but often neglected task of integration at a time when increasing complexity of thought impels scholars to know more and more about less and less. Our seminar conversations respond to the challenge of this fragmentation by asking students the basic questions that put all specialization into a humane context: What is the good? What should we value? What is truth? Is there such a thing as truth at all?"
Freshman and Sophomore Year you take full year seminars focusing on Western Cultural Tradition. These are 'double classes' (i.e., regular BC students take 5 courses/semester, but honors kids take 4 courses/semester, with HP counting for double credits ... so you're still all taking 15 credits).
These seminars are great! You'll have the most tremendous faculty and great minds in your class. Class size is between 10-12 normally, with a max of 15. Classes are taught in the Socratic method, with the Professor guiding conversation, and not lecturing.
The workload is intense, with a tremendous amount of reading and writing. That being said, it IS worth it. You're reading stuff that educated people should be exposed to. You're having conversations that teach you how to think critically and quickly. I cannot say enough great things about HP.
The program is small - graduating only 100 people / year. Everyone gets to know each other very well ... professors and students alike. Outings are common (last night my professor took our class to the Boston Symphony Orchestra) and encouraged by the program.
BC Honors is undoubtedly my favorite part of the academic scene at BC. It has made such a difference in my time here. I highly recommend it.
It depends on when you transfer. If you transfer into sophomore year, there is a chance you can join it, but you have to work fast. You can contact Mark O'Connor, the director of the program. He'll judge if you qualify or not depends on your grade.